Boycotting six flags

this really isnt a funny story.. its more of an extremely irritating story!!! ok so i was at six flags a couple years ago and of course i brought my testing kit with me (the cap to my poker was broken and always fell off). so we went inside and the people were checking through my bag but they were using their HANDS and not one of those stick thingies. so of course the person HAS to open my kit and go rummaging through it (i had to explain the whole thing) and guess what? HE POKES HIMSELF WITH MY NEEDLE! so he freaked out and we had to go to the first aid office so they could make sure i didnt have AIDS or something! i ended up sitting the whole time in the first aid office and didnt get to go on any rides. they let me go with only an hour before hurricane harbor closed, so i was really mad!!! i havent been there since that little incident... they really need to train their staff to be a LOT more careful!!!

i would ask for a refund! that is horrible!

LOL they gave us a bunch of free passes but of course we never used them!! 

Next time you go, try putting a large spider or mouse in your bag. (:

great idea

i guess it wasnt really six flag's fault... the dude was kinda young and didnt really no wat he was doing

Hey shannon!!!!!! something also happened to me at six flags, that involved my testing kit! i always carry my kit around in this black purse that goes like across my body [does that make sense??] so it's not like it could fall of on one of the rides so i thought it would be fine if i brought it on with me. but right as i got on the ride [RAGING BULL!!!!] the guy running the ride came over and said i couldnt bring it on with me even though i told him it had all my medical stuff in it!!!!! sooo he sent me off the ride and i had to stand at the bottom and wait for everyone!!!!! i was really mad and so was my mom so she went to talk to the guy and he was like "if you go to the information booth you can get a sticker that says you need your bag for medical reasons" and my mom was like "but how were we supposed to know this?????" we ended up getting to cut to the front of the line on the ride that he wouldnt let me go on!!!!YAY!!!!!! and trust me the line was LOOONG! 

LOL sry i just have to laugh!! u would think they would train the ppl to know these things!!! at least i can look back on my little incident and laugh!! it was just a freak thing!

When you think about it, there are so many diseases that diabetes isn't, and I doubt it will be, a priority. Example? When people are pulled over in the car, if they act drunk the first thing police think isn't going to be Diabetic! It's all about safety: theirs, yours, others. So people aren't likely to be trained extensively in diabetes, either, and we can't expect them to be. I mean, even at a diabetic camp I attended, the councelors were given a 15 minute debriefing on it.

Um .... the counselors only learned about D for 15 minutes and they were caring for kids w/ D??? I would look into another camp! At my former camp, esp the non-diabetic counselors, had a very in-depth orientation from what I remember. Multiple days...

Yeah, they were given a quick debriefing, and that was it. The first low one of us diabetics had? They totally freaked out, they had no clue what they were doing; they tried to give them diet soda, then when we pointed out that doesn't work for lows, someone suggested regular soda, which they were then convinced soda, diet or regular, doesn't work for lows. And when the low diabetic asked for water, every time someone was low, they insisted we can't drink water while low....?!

I was disappointed in that camp; but what I find most unfortunate is that's what I expect from them. Even the ADA staff sucked.

just saying, I'm not REALLy boycotting six flags... i just needed a name for the post!! LOL

[quote user="Alyssa"]

Yeah, they were given a quick debriefing, and that was it. The first low one of us diabetics had? They totally freaked out, they had no clue what they were doing; they tried to give them diet soda, then when we pointed out that doesn't work for lows, someone suggested regular soda, which they were then convinced soda, diet or regular, doesn't work for lows. And when the low diabetic asked for water, every time someone was low, they insisted we can't drink water while low....?!

I was disappointed in that camp; but what I find most unfortunate is that's what I expect from them. Even the ADA staff sucked.

[/quote]

yeah.. If theres something you want to boycott I would say do it to "diabetes camp" they really sucked at taking care of my diabetes, Ive went for the past 2 years in a row, last year I experienced a first, my meter reading "hi" to which i had told to me meant I was above 30.. this happened at least 3 more times that week, the drs were determined they new better then me, and wouldnt let me take care of my meds myself, which resulted in this. same thing happened this year, except this year, along with about 8 "hi" readings, my infusion site exploded 3-4x. in only 4 days at camp 0_o... I wasnt there long cuz I missed a day to go to a Jb concert :P way worth it. Im never going back to d-camp

I can't believe you guys were treated so bad at diabetes camp. I love the one I go to, and almost all of the staff members have diabetes themselves. All of the staff members (D and non-D) are trained extensively and it's always great.