Bad Mood Highs

Hello Everyone!

I've been T1 now for about 3 months and adjusting well to the new lifestyle. My sugar levels have been great, thanks to the honeymoon but there has been a couple times where my sugar levels have gone up over 15 and everytime this happens i become a completely different person. Its like one moment I'm as happy as can be and the next I become quiet, almost mad and annoyed by everything in the world, Definetly not me. Was wondering if this happens to anyone else or how there blood sugar changes how they feel? 

i am the bitchiest person you will probably ever meet if my blood sugar is high and you're annoying me.

don't worry, most people experience mood swings with blood sugar changes :)

Lack of patience and irritability are my two main symptoms when I'm running too high.  :)

Yeap!  High sugars bring out the worst in me. 

i usually feel tired and lethargic and sick. which, if you annoy me, will make me grumpy. but usually just tired :o)

when i'm high, don't come near me of you would like to keep your head from being bitten off :)

I get extremely GRUMPY when I'm high !!  Usually I'm very laid back ; )

My daughter when high is impossible.

Hey Joey,

Thanks for bringing this up. I am also in my first year of T1 and I know exactly what you are talking about. I can tell you that it DOES get better, but bad mood highs still rear their ugly heads every now and then. I still get that feeling when I am coming down from a high blood sugar level after injecting insulin. Hang in there!

I have been annoyed at work and I have blown up on coworkers. Nothing too bad, just kind of funny.

I can def relate to this !! Although not so much when my blood sugar is high. I get very nasty and sometimes combative when my blood sugar is very low. It is horrible to think of how I have treated EMT workers in the past and my own husband and family when I have had severly low blood sugar. I have hit, bit, kicked, you name it I have done it !! When my sugar is high I get very hot and I feel nausea. Unfortunately mood swings are one of the many down falls of having diabetes :(

Yep, when my blood sugar is high I get really cranky. 

I get cranky with high bs but get silly and really stupid when low. LOL Imagine me silly!!!

I am a total she-devil when my blood sugar gets high. I am probably worse than my PMS-state, which is terrifying on its own. But combine those two and you better run and hide!

I logged on to post a question about my son's bad highs, and lookie there, I've got my answer.  Mostly :)

We've had our share of highs (250, 300 or more) in the past 11 months (gosh, has it really been that long?!?), but he's never had "freak out" highs before.  But in just the past few days he's had highs (almost 300) after lunch and has melted down.  Thursday at the car dealership, just as we were going in to sign contracts with the finance guy, he started losing it.  He tested, I took him into the bathroom for a dose and a snack, and tried to stay calm and supportive while he sat on the floor screaming "I have to go home.".  Today, same thing at Nana's house about 1 1/5 hours after lunch, suddenly losing it, BS near 300, sitting on the floor of the bathroom wailing "I have to go home."  He hasn't had this reaction to highs before, so it has me concerned.  Are highs "worse" when you're away from home or in over-stimulating environments?  (William also has APD, so the environment may be making it worse for him).  I just wish I knew what was going on with him.

So, I guess my question is, does your environment effect how you experience a high?  Worse at work/school/mall, and more manageable at home?  William (hopefully) will be going to a pump soon (fingers crossed), and these bad highs have me concerned about the transition period.  Are we going to need to stay home during the transition until the highs are worked out?

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I gotta rant somewhere, and no one understands T1 like you all do :)

Blessings,

Mo

I get mean either way. I'm really mean when it's low. My parents always know when I'm high or low because of my mood.

Mo,

I can see how an over-stimulating environment could make him more cranky from a high than usual.  I tend to get grumpy and have very little patience when I'm running pretty high, and the patience thing could definitley explain why he was freaking out - if that's one of his symptoms, too.

I can't really describe how I feel when I'm high...usually I just feel hot and not right but it doesn't affect my mood except that I feel bad and thus am not happy/probably more irritable.  When I'm really low I can get combative and throw things, resist everything, and get really frustrated, impatient, upset, and depressed. 

[quote user="Monique H"]

I logged on to post a question about my son's bad highs, and lookie there, I've got my answer.  Mostly :)

We've had our share of highs (250, 300 or more) in the past 11 months (gosh, has it really been that long?!?), but he's never had "freak out" highs before.  But in just the past few days he's had highs (almost 300) after lunch and has melted down.  Thursday at the car dealership, just as we were going in to sign contracts with the finance guy, he started losing it.  He tested, I took him into the bathroom for a dose and a snack, and tried to stay calm and supportive while he sat on the floor screaming "I have to go home.".  Today, same thing at Nana's house about 1 1/5 hours after lunch, suddenly losing it, BS near 300, sitting on the floor of the bathroom wailing "I have to go home."  He hasn't had this reaction to highs before, so it has me concerned.  Are highs "worse" when you're away from home or in over-stimulating environments?  (William also has APD, so the environment may be making it worse for him).  I just wish I knew what was going on with him.

So, I guess my question is, does your environment effect how you experience a high?  Worse at work/school/mall, and more manageable at home?  William (hopefully) will be going to a pump soon (fingers crossed), and these bad highs have me concerned about the transition period.  Are we going to need to stay home during the transition until the highs are worked out?

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I gotta rant somewhere, and no one understands T1 like you all do :)

Blessings,

Mo

[/quote]

i find that when i'm "too high" i feel so uncomfortable that i want to be some place alone while my bloodsugar drops. but i'm the kind of person who likes to have no one come near me or talk to me when i'm that high. sometimes if i'm too high and i'm stressed out at the same time, i'll break down and cry. but everyone reacts differently since everyone feels the symptoms of highs differently.

he probably is just reacting to the uncomfortable feeling that being that high is. i wouldn't be too concerned, i'm sure when i was little i did the same. one time when i had a low at a my neighbours(my mom was at my bros baseball game), i refused to let my friend's dad give me sugar. instead i ran home and sat on the front steps and flipped out until my mom came home(thankfully pretty soon. i think little kids are just more prone to freaking out because it is kinda scary when you're a kid and you feel sick due to being high or low, even if you've been dx'ed for a while. maybe he just feels like if he went home he'd feel better?

My daughter can be the rudest person ever. I've often wondered if it had anything to do with blood sugar. Now I will have her check it when she is nasty.

Total witch when I am high......My hubby definitely can tell.....reminds me to check my blood sugar if I can stay awake long enough to do so.  If I am high at school (happens a lot due to stress!!) the kids can usually tell too, because I get very cranky and moody.  Stressful situations are worst for me.  The kids will sometimes look at me and say, "Is your blood sugar high?"  I have so many people looking out for me!!