Baby #2

I’m new to TypeOneNation. I have been a T1D for 21 years. When my husband and I decided to start trying for our first baby, my endo was okay with an A1C of 7.0. I had a very easy pregnancy, had A1Cs between 5.8 and 6.5 the whole time. My daughter was born at 34 weeks, spent 27 days in the NICU mostly with respiratory and feeding issues. She is a happy and healthy almost 2 year old now. My husband and I are thinking about baby #2, but this time I’ve done a lot more research and am getting my A1C to under 6.5 before starting. Does anyone have suggestions, tips, nutritional advice/plans they followed? Were there extra steps in your pregnancies that were taken to keep your baby in longer other than tight control?

@hollysexton15 hello Holly, please excuse me replying and I am unqualified for all matters in your question… except maybe blood sugars

for 6.5% A1c IMO, you’ll probably want to get a pump, a CGM, and adopt a low carb/slow carb diet. If you try to get a low a1c on MDI you may find a 6.5% means a lot of low blood sugars which can be dangerous.

cheers good luck on your next one and congratulations. 2 years old starts a new and very fun time

Thank you! I am on a pump and cgm. For the past 2 months I’ve been adjusting my diet to lower carbs, which has helped significantly!

Hi Holly! I just had a baby last November and kept my A1C around 5.5-5.7 throughout the entire pregnancy. I believe I was around the same for about a year prior to as well. I wear a Dexcom, but I don’t have a pump. I think 2 things helped me the most: doing my insulin before eating always and adjusting throughout the pregnancy for how long I need to do it prior to see less spikes, and just checking my blood sugar constantly (like even when I woke up in the night) and giving a few units when needed. Also, this book is a game changer if you haven’t already read it: https://www.amazon.com/Pregnancy-Type-Diabetes-Month-Month/dp/1544267347. It taught me a lot of things about how different foods impact your sugar levels at different times and how you may have to adjust to them (i.e. pizza takes longer for your body to break down the sugar because it has to get through all the fat, so I now give half my insulin prior to eating pizza and half right after). I ate tons of carbs during my whole pregnancy because in the beginning it was all I could really eat, and I loved the excuse to eat ice cream whenever I wanted. :slight_smile:

I had my son at 38 weeks, 1 day via C section due to blood pressure issues the last few days, but he was totally healthy and we actually came home a day early. : ) Best of luck to you! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1 Like

I also took folic acid, magnesium and a prenatal every single day and tried to take walks until it got too difficult.

1 Like

Thank you!!! That is all very very helpful!!

1 Like