Anyone on Injections?

Hey everyone!

So I was on a pump for 4 years, and a month and a half ago I pulled the plug and disconnected... and never reconnected. I was having a ton of trouble with infusion sites failing and bleeding. I am SO much happier on Novolog and Lantus shots right now, for these reasons:

- Can do abs/legs/any kind of workout at the gym without site issues

- Going to the beach (which I do a lot at college) is a lot easier without a pump (sand in the site, disconnecting/reconnecting constantly)

- Going out at college is easier without finding a place to wear my pump

- No worries about sky-high blood sugars from failed sites; as long as I take all my shots, it is pretty tough to actually get too high b/c there's always Lantus to cover for me; on a pump, if a couple hours of basal are missed.... Uh oh.

- No guesswork. When the insulin goes in via injection, it's IN. It's not "maybe stuck in the cannula" or "maybe the cannula is bent" or "maybe there's blood in the cannula".

My question is, is anyone else currently on injections NOT just as a transition between diagnosis and a pump? In other words, has anyone been on injections and is happy with this method of control as a long-term idea?

As long as I can keep my a1c good (it is 7.0 as of last Friday) I see no reason why I shouldn't stick with injections.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

I think you'll find there are quite a few people who still use injections, as well as some who used to use the pump and then switched back to MDI. Batts on here is someone who used a pump and switched back. You can get in contact with her to chat about it :o)

Hi Amanda...I am one of those people who have never been on a pump and have no desire to use a pump. I have had diabetes for over 19 years and have always been on injections. I don't have any problems with MDI, my A1C's are fine. My last A1C was 5.8, my A1C has not been any higher than mid-7's for as long as I can remember. I am so old school that I don't even use pens, I still use syringes...lol. People tell me all the time that I should try a pump, but I have no interest in trying it. I figure if what I'm doing is working, why should I do something else?

I think it is wonderful that you are getting better results and doing well without the pump.  It is great to know how much insulin actually made it into your body to get a normal blood sugar.without wondering why you may be high.  I have been on the pump for 6 years and often wonder what it would be like to go back to shots.  I know my A1Cs were always lower on injections.  On Friday, I had a clogged site so was 350 at lunch and 354 about 5PM.  I would say enjoy the freedom of no pump and you mentioned plenty of good reasons of why the pump is not best for everyone.

I am happy that you are getting better results with injections......I tried the pump two times and had really bad reactions with the pump.  But I really miss it......it is so much nicer to press some buttons and have instant insulin instead of having to inject every time.  I had really bad reactions to the sites.  I would get these really hard lumps under my skin and the sites would be really tender and itchy.  I miss my pump:(

I was on shots for 6 1/2 years. Than I want to the pump 5 years ago. I like the pump better than shots but only because I don't have to pock myself 3 or 4 times a day. instend I get pocked every 3 to 4 days. I think it is great that you have better A1C with shots. I say as long as you like the shots better than the pump, I would say stick with what you like better. Hope this helps.

[quote user="C"]

I think you'll find there are quite a few people who still use injections, as well as some who used to use the pump and then switched back to MDI. Batts on here is someone who used a pump and switched back. You can get in contact with her to chat about it :o)

[/quote]

Yup! I tried the pump for a 3month trial but switched back to shots. I was also having trouble with sites coming out (I went through a month supply in 2weeks once!). I have better control with shots (though my A1C isn't "perfect", I had 3 lows MIN a week, sometimes 3 in one day while on the pump!) After 16years of shots, I feel more comfortable doing everything manually than letting a machine give me insulin. I had huge self-esteem issues with the pump. It just wasn't for me in the end; it didn't work for me and that's okay. =)

If you feel more comfortable with shots and you feel you can have good control, there's no reason to be on the pump. The pump is just another method to controlling your diabetes. It's not a must-have and it's a very personal choice. Like birth control or pain medication or clothing, etc etc. Do what you feel is best for yourself =)

I've been told by my Endo that i'd most likely NEVER get a pump. So i've been using the pens for around almost a year now.

Cons- If you tend to eat a bit the areas that you inject can bruise.. If you dislike needles then injecting yourself 4+ times a day will drive you insane. People will stare at you like a Heroine addict if you inject yourself in public. You have to keep needles and alcohol pads with you just incase you have to fix a high. At times i tend to bleed a bit from where i injection site.

Pros- You can swim, be very active and not be worried about snagging anything. You can just use the correct amounts of insulin and be done with it. It's easier to get used to if you are a newly diagnosed. You feel more "In Control" i guess would be a good way to say it. The Pens are really portable, you can just throw em in your pocket and not worry about anything happening to it.

Just make sure you don't do a switch-a-roo on yourself and accidentally use the Lantus instead of the Novalog when you are going to eat and vise versa... (i've done it maybe 2? times and man does it suck..)

-Jared

[quote user="Jared"]

People will stare at you like a Heroine addict if you inject yourself in public. You have to keep needles and alcohol pads with you just incase you have to fix a high. At times i tend to bleed a bit from where i injection site.

[/quote]

Who cares what other people think? =) I do my shot (syringe and vial) at the table, at the bus stop, at my desk at work, on a bench in the park, etc. It's other people's problem, if they have a problem with it or think you're an addict..not yours.

Now it's just if one is worried about that then yeah.. I could seriously care less, but when i started doing so i was scared constantly.. The more you do it the more you just care less.. But i see what you are trying to say Batts.

I've been on shots for 33 years and never been on a pump and am really not interested.  My control is pretty good.  A1Cs hover between 7.0 and 7.5.  I think it gives me more freedom.  Dose and forget about it until the next time you eat.  I also can't get beyond the idea of being hooked up to a machine.  I work with computers.  I don't trust them, let alone with my life.

Thank you all for the encouragement and opinions. It makes me feel SO much better to know that there are people out there who are happy using the type of control I use.

If I ever have any questions, I know who's out there! :)

I used shots from 1993 - 1998. I then used the pump from 1998-2008 until I lost insurance coverage. I have since been using the injections  but go to endo tomorrow to try the pump again. Overall a1c has been better with injections but my biggest challenge has been weight gain with using th lantus. I do prefer injections but even with good amounts of exercise can not lose the weight that I have gained since starting back on injections. I say do whatever works best for you and keep up the good work.

I used injections for 40 yrs and last year I switched to a minimed pump, during the first 6 months of use I found the pump to be defective. Try as I did, minimed would not send a replacement pump after many many emails and phone calls, I finally submitted a BBB complaint and minimed exchanged my new 'messed up' pump with a refurbished one. (Like buying a new car and when it didn't work getting a rebuilt one instead) Minimed actually accused me of not using stated canula sites and told me my first pump was fine, when I stated to them after taking a bg reading from the OneStep Ultra meter, this pump actually shut down completely, they said it was my error, not theirs. I am considering going back to injections for some of these reasons and I am glad most T1's that use pumps find them a step up for treatment. I am not in that group.

I tried a pump in '04 for 6 months, but have otherwise been on MDI. I use pens. A1c's in the 5's and 6's for the last 5-10 years.

Hi - I am on a "Pump Vacation" and may never go back!I do have a non-working Navigator right now, and I think the benefits of the CGM out-weigh the disadvantages of the pump, particularly the attached tubing. The CGM provides the physical freedon I like. I use syringes, 3 or 4 times a day.  I have a "pony tail" holder, sort of like a rubber band, wrapped around my Novolog bottle as a second identifying symbol. Personally I think the rubbor on the top of Novolog bottles s/b red because the stuff is so dangerous....It hurts for a second, and then it is done for hours. Life with a big, jumping dog in the house is easier, too. I do hope to sometime get a working Navigator again - it has been a long wait!