Any updates on lantus?

After i read the news on Lantus and cancer risk, i have not been able to get in touch with my endo. So, do you people know what has been going on relating to this? Should we continue to use Lantus?

What is this all about.  My grandson is on Lantus--as are most , I assume.  Explain the risks you are talking about

My endo says the study in not conclusive, so stick with whatever you're on now.  I found an article on the study, and it was basically a statistical study done on existing insurance records.  In the studies in Germany and Sweden, it was found that Lantus users had a significant increased risk for some cancers, however in the studies in Scottland and UK there was no increased risk. 

You can find more information here:  http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/cancer.html

The problem with this type of study is, there's no control.  The difference in risk may be the way in which Lantus is being used, what other drugs it is being used in combination with, or it can be related to other risk factors of the patients themselves like age and diet.  The fact that the findings are so starkly inconsistent by region, well, I'm not going to let it keep me up a night.  Lots of additional research and study needs to be done before anyone makes a significant change in their insulin program.

Also, the fact that this news was originally leaked to the financial sector, before the report had even been published, that kind of irked me.  The manufacturer of Lantus took a huge hit before anyone had the facts.

Mo

Hi Margie,

I read on the American Diabetes Association's web site that a study published in Diabetelogia shows some link between use of insulin glargine - Lantus - and cancer risk. Here it is:

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetesnewsarticle.jsp?storyId=20358264&filename=20090626/comtex20090626iw00001849KEYWORDMissingEDIT.xml

You can check it out.

I know I'm being overly paranoid, but I want to switch off Lantus. But, my next endo appt isn't until Sept, and I'm just going to wait and ask him them. So, I guess I'm not *that* worried...

But, Mo, that update from your doc was helpful. Thanks!

[quote user="Shruti"]

Hi Margie,

I read on the American Diabetes Association's web site that a study published in Diabetelogia shows some link between use of insulin glargine - Lantus - and cancer risk. Here it is:

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetesnewsarticle.jsp?storyId=20358264&filename=20090626/comtex20090626iw00001849KEYWORDMissingEDIT.xml

You can check it out.

[/quote]

Everyone, please read the article closely.  It says "possible link".  It also says the studies are "conflicting and inconclusive".  In other words, there really is not enough information in these conflicting studies to say whether or not there is any increased risk of cancer from using Lantus, or under what conditions.  More studies need to be done.  I also encourage everyone to "go to the source" and review the original Diabetelogia article (link above) before making any adjustments to your current insulin.

Mo

I read an article about it and it said that it wasn't positive so you can just keep using it.

~Brittany~

I think!