4 Month Post Diagnosis Update

Background: My 8 year old daughter was admitted to the hospital on 6/16 with DKA, her BG levels in the ER were 492. By the time we were transferred to a hospital with a pediatric endo they had gotten down to 293. Her A1C came back at 11.4 at that time. They sent us home on 6/18 with her BG levels going between 130 and 199. That night I posted on here about how scared I was with everything that we now had to face for and with her. All of your responses helped to soothe this mama’s fears. During the first week home I called her endo several times after hours with questions and concerns. Let me tell you, I am absolutely thrilled with this man!! He called me back and calmly answered each question and put each fear to rest. The best thing that he did, in my opinion, was to tell me “You have all of the knowledge and tools. You know your daughter. If she goes high and you over correct you know how to bring her back up from a low. Every case is different and you are going to be the one who will know what is best to do to help her. I am here as a tool and an advisor for you. But you have got this!” Boy did that change my thinking!!!

When we left we had a prescription for 1 unit of Humalog for every 15g of carbs she ate plus the sliding scale set at 1 unit for every 75 over 150. Her Lantus was set at 10 units every night. We have made the adjustments down to 1/2 unit of Humalog every 45g of carbs and the sliding scale set to 1/2 unit for every 100 over 200. And 3 to 4 units of Lantus every night depending on her numbers.

She got sick week before last and her numbers were on a fast moving roller coaster. Her dad and I made dosing decisions on the fly as meals that would normally send her levels up 20-30 points briefly were now sending her up in the high 200s.

Fast forward to yesterday: she had her 2nd office visit with him. Her A1C came in at 6.9!!! According to the Clarity reports she has been in range 94% of the time!! Hearing that, and getting validation that what we are doing is working has had me walking on a cloud. I know that she is in the honeymoon phase and things will be ever changing but I feel like we can handle the changes.

Sorry for the long post, I just really wanted to share the news with people who would understand what I am talking about. And one day I will understand what you mean when you talk about basal and bolus dosing! lol

6 Likes

Way to go Mom - keep up the good work! I’m so glad you got such encouragement and support from your doctor - it makes all the difference in the world.

I am so glad you are getting the support you need. Nice work! now you already know that a high bg does not mean you are bad… it means you need to adjust. same for a low bg, it does not mean “fail” it means… adjust. great to hear feedback and great news. cheers!

Dawn @Dawn9413 , thank you for this report about how you as very observant parents have become knowledgable care providers for your daughter. What I see is your ability to rapidly understand the ever changing “insulin-need” your daughter has and your ability to adjust; you are doing wonderful.

@Dawn9413, you are doing a wonderful job with your daughter. Fantastic!
I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. My doctor got me started with animal insulin, and I did very well, but he had very little knowledge about diabetes. It was a life of trial and error while knowing nothing about carbs. There was no device for testing blood sugar, and there were no A1C’s back then. Many type 1 diabetics diagnosed that long ago have done very well, despite the potential obstacles they faced. I have been type 1 for 76 years, and I do not have any serious complications.
Your daughter has an excellent chance of living a very long and healthy life. Getting off to a great start with your and the doctor’s help sets the stage for for a wonderful and successful future!

2 Likes

Hi Dawn, So glad to hear your daughter and your family are doing so well! Keep up the great work! :slight_smile:

Pam K.