Wisdom teeth pulled, being put under, blood sugars

I may have to have my wisdom teeth out,  I'm worried about keeping my blood sugar in target while I'm under.  I usually get very stressed out around dentists and when that happens my blood sugar is extremely unpredictable.  I've never been unconscious before (besides sleep and a brief concussion)  and I'm really worried that that alone will cause my blood sugar to freak out.  Do you have any experiences that you could share that would ease my worrying mind about these things.  Suggests are welcome too.

Greg - I believe you are on a pump now correct?  Before I was on the pump I had issues going under with blood sugars rising, however, the last couple times during surgeries, I kept my pump on and all was fine.  I would suggest that after you get home, keep checking your levels.  You will eat less and more soups and things so just keep a watch on it and you should be fine.  Back when I had mine out - '86, I had a bad reaction.  I was on shots at the time and when an issue came up, I didn't think to check the sugars, I should have and I ended up in a bad situation.  I have been put under 4 times since then and all has been well!  It's just a matter of testing and knowing where you are at.  As they say on the D-Life - Test, don't guess.   I'm sure everything will go okay!

BTW - if they try to make you take the pump off, just insist you keep it on!

[quote user="Greg Borkman"]

I may have to have my wisdom teeth out,  I'm worried about keeping my blood sugar in target while I'm under.  I usually get very stressed out around dentists and when that happens my blood sugar is extremely unpredictable.  I've never been unconscious before (besides sleep and a brief concussion)  and I'm really worried that that alone will cause my blood sugar to freak out.  Do you have any experiences that you could share that would ease my worrying mind about these things.  Suggests are welcome too.

[/quote]

I just had mine out 3 weeks ago and you have NO idea how scared I was. But I am totally fine and recovered great, no problems at all.

I also asked for advice on here, check out this forum: http://juvenation.org/forums/p/1579/10928.aspx#10928

Mainly, get them out first thing in the morning. Your endo can help suggest changes to basal rates so you run higher than target to avoid dropping low. It's easier to do it first thing because you have to fast to be put under and that way you won't risk running low. Right after, eat LOTS OF ICE CREAM. Vanilla. it was the best. also gogurt. And use bags of frozen peas on your face a lot because it will reduce swelling. Day 2, still don't eat hard foods and use warm washcloth compresses (you can microwave the washcloth after dampening it).

Your situation is almost exactly the same as mine (worried around dentists, never been put out before, etc.) but don't worry!! Just ask your endo/cde for suggestions about basal rate changes, which will help you to run higher, as they can do surgery when your'e in the 200's but not when you're in the 70s or 80s.

Check out the replies on the above linked forum. you'll be totally fine!

Hi Greg:

I've had a bunch of different things in the past couple of years that I've had to be put under for.  And I've kept my pump on and running during all of them.  If your BG tends to go up when you're stressed, just try to keep it monitored closely beforehand.  Once they knock you out all your stress will magically disappear.  :o)

All my experiences were in a hospital, where they monitored me while I was out (they didn't actually do anything about it...they just monitored it).  Since yours is most likely in a dentist's office they probably won't do that for you.  So I'd just suggest trying to relax as much as possible and then deal with your BG when you wake up.  You can just do a correction bolus if it's too high.

I had mine out last summer.  My endo told me to be prepared to have to take a bunch of extra insulin afterwards, because your body responds to the "injury" of surgery like it does to being ill.  But before hand I just didn't eat breakfast and went.  If you have to have a juice for a low it should be fine, just tell them that you did.  Test before you go in, and if it's wierd tell them they have to check you in the middle, or make them wait.

Mine went perfectly fine.  I went, my blood sugar was a bit on the high side of normal (which is what I would suggest aiming for, about 180 or whatever, but it depends on your body and your control too), so I went ahead and sat in the chair, they put a blanket thing over my torso to keep me warm and put a heart monitor on my pointer.  Then I got some laughing gas and felt all tingly.  They put the IV in after that, and I woke up later and stumbled out (don't wear flipflops when you go, bad idea).

I don't think you guys need to worry THAT much about your bloodsugar being higher when you come out. Honestly, a few hours of having a high blood sugar because you're under stress(mentally and physically) is NOT going to suddenly make it so you guys have complications......

just remember to take a correction dose afterwards(since you'll be drugged up..maybe let your parents do it..)

thanks everyone, dentist said he's in no rush to pull them but says i should probably get them out in the next year...i actually went into the office and checked i was 198 and bolused a half unit (1unit brings me down 43 points) so it would have brought me down 20 or so and i check a half hour later when i was all accustom to the office and it was 89...thanks body so hard to predict under stress. lol

Helpful post, I have to take my Father to the dentist, he's scheduled for some bridgwork.