Why?

My son got all his vaccines "on time" when he was younger.  He hadn't had any shots (flu) for more than a year before diagnosis.  He's since had the flu and pneumonia shots. 

Logan was diagnosed in December, when he was 10.  His A1C (two months almsot to the day) was 8.1 in February.

I don't know what the cause...but whatever it is, I hope he can take care of himself while newer and better treatments and maybe even a cure is discovered.

Oh, and my daughter and I both tested negative for the antibodies.  I'm pretty sure I'll be diagnosed with Type 2 within the next few years.

my daughter taylor was dx at 15 months old after having Rosieola that was 07-30-00.  We beleve that trigured her imunue response.

Early intro to cow's milk? I had not heard that. I would be interested in hearing more about this. My daughter was taken off baby formula earlier then my other children simply because she discovered milk and would not drink anything els after. She was ten months old and at the time I didn't give it much thought...wow.

The following items comes from a Peta website that is of course biased against drinking cow's milk.  However, the articles are real and they were published in science-based, peer-reviewed journals.  You should be able to do a search of the journal name and find the text of the papers since all are at least several years old.  I've included the link to the first article.  If you go to a journal such as Diabetes Care you will find a number of articles about cow's milk and diabetes.  Or, if you want articles written in plainer Englinsh then a Google search will produce a number of results.  Keep in mind that even if cow's milk is a trigger for developing diabetes for some, the individual must have a susceptibility for the disease to begin with.

A study of children in 40 countries found that the incidence of juvenile diabetes was directly related to diet: The higher the consumption of cow’s milk and other animal products, the greater the chance of developing diabetes. Conversely, children who consumed a largely vegetarian diet had a much lower incidence of diabetes.
The American Journal of Nutrition                      http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/71/6/1525
Muntoni et al., 71 (2000),1525-9

A study of more than 800 children found that feeding infants cow’s milk formula is "associated with an increased risk of type 1 diabetes ..."
Diabetes Care
Hypponen et al., December 1999

In another study of 800 children, researchers found that the "introduction to cow’s milk products before age 8 is a risk factor" for juvenile diabetes and that breast-feeding babies for more than the first week after birth protected infants from developing diabetes.
Diabetes Care
Gimeno et al., August 1997

In 1994, the American Academy of Pediatrics convened a panel to examine the issue, concluding that exposure to cow’s milk protein may indeed be an important factor in the development of diabetes. Based on the more than 90 studies that had addressed the issue, the academy reported that avoiding cow’s milk exposure might delay or prevent the disease in susceptible individuals.
Pediatrics
American Academy of Pediatrics Work Group on Cow’s Milk Protein and Diabetes Mellitus, 1994

"The avoidance of cow’s milk protein for the first several months of life may reduce the later development of IDDM (insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus) in susceptible individuals. … In families with a strong history of IDDM, particularly if a sibling has diabetes, breast-feeding and avoidance of commercially available cow’s milk and products containing intact cow’s milk protein during the first year of life are strongly encouraged."
Pediatrics
American Academy of Pediatrics, November 1994

There is a study out of Toronto Children's Hospital that has been around for a long time about cow's milk before a year of age.  We had heard of it and our daughter received no cow's milk before a year.  She was nursed til 6 months and then a soy based formula along with soy yogurt - she was diagnosed at age 10 with type 1.  I guess nothing is cut and dried - if it were that simple it would be great :)

My daughter was diagnosed 1 month before her 4th birthday. My husbands brother was diagnosed with type 1 when he was 19. There could be some genetic reason.

From my reading they do say "something" triggers the immune system into a response to attack the insuling producing cells in the pancrease.  We don't have any vaccination link in our family but maybe the schedule is different in Canada?  Another theory I've heard about is vitamin D deficiency.  In Toronto, the age group that has the highest rate of diagnosis is 8-10 year olds.  There is a theory about sunscreen since these kids were one of the first groups to be slathered with SPF 100 (I am exaggerating) all year long even as babies.  There is also an increase in diagnoses in the winter months here.  Basically the theory goes that high spf levels in sunscreens these days prevent the "good" rays from the sun that the body needs from being absorbed in great enough quanity, hence triggering something else in the immune system.  Dr. The believes that vitamin D protects the cells that produce insulin.

Here's the article from the summer.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080605/vitaminD_diabetes_080605?s_name=&no_ads=

just a p.s. that my son was diagnosed in the dead of winter in February so who knows if there is a connection. 

I think we all grapple to find a reason for what happend to our kids.  We just want to know why.

We feel the same about our daughter, who was diagnosed 1/29/09 right before her 16th birthday, she had never been sick, other than common colds since she was born, I took her in for a physical and to make sure her immunizations were up-to-date 12/07 and of course, we agreed to give her a flu shot, since that time she started anoither school year and was sick a lot ofl the time, missed school, complained of leg cramping, stomach cramping, headaches-we did not know what was wrong with her.  Then come this January, I had her blood tested and she was diagnosed with this disease.  We too can not find a connection where she got the type 1. 

We think the flu shot could be the culprit, but not exactly sure.  I am glad that someone else had the same feeling as I.  It just sucks that our children have to suffer with this. 

My daughter was 6 1/2 when she was diagnosed.  She hadn't recently received any vaccines.  Her birthday is in November and she was diagnosed in July.  I think it is an immune system thing.  I have heard that if your child has had a certain virus, it can damage the pancreas causing type I diabetes.  My co-worker's wife was diagnosed at age 14 only after she was kicked in the stomach by a horse which damaged her pancreas.  So it seems that it still is just as much a mystery as to why things happen like this.

Michelle

I agree with many posts, it had to be a bad vaccine.  Nobody in my family has ever had diabetes.  She was also a premiee born at 32 weeks.  It must have been all the drugs they gave her to survive, I guess this is the trade off.