Trying to contact parents with type one toddlers

Hello my name is Maria my 2 year old was diagnosed in October of last year at first we were keeping his levels pretty much in the 80-180 range but do to my work he had to start daycare and got cold after cold,stomach bug you name it he had it, so we now se way more 200 or 300 hundreds. His doctors Everytime I call regarding highs or help with changing dosage either are rude about me "overreacting "because I can see his dexcom and I should just ignore it until is time for meal, they don’t allow any time of correction unless is before meal or sick day protocol and when we discuss dosage changes they don’t consider it a high priority situation so sometimes they take a day or two to contact me. I really would like to connect with other parents of toddlers to see what are they doing compare dosage and just talk to somebody going through this getting used to fase.

Hi Maria @Mariajacks, first let me offer you a Warm Welcome to the TypeOneNation Forum! I do hope you will receive comfort in knowing that you, and your son, are not alone living with diabetes and that you will benefit from hints and suggestions offered here. Keep in mind that every one of us is different and what works for me may not work for your son. I’m not a medical doctor, but while lining with diabetes for over 60 years I’ve learned bits & pieces of effective diabetes management.

It really is amazing that you were able to keep a two year old;s BGL [Body Glucose Level] in the 80 - 180 mg/dl range for a year - I cant’t do that for an entire month. Other parents on here, and a knowledgable doctor will tell you that it is practically normal for a young child, probably due to body size, to take excursions into the 200 - 300 range; a child will not be too adversely affected as long as time spent in that “high range” is not prolonged and frequent. In my humble opinion being a bit high is safer than being hypoglycemic - low BGL.

People, me included, get into trouble through “insulin stacking” - that possibly could be the reason your / his doctor told you not to give correction doses. I’m very disappointed that the doctor has not provided you with “sick day protocol”. During most illnesses, a body needs more insulin than on “normal days” even if/when one can not eat, or eat very much.

Diabetes management in a child is high priority and requires immediate attention. Your son and you might benefit by having a good endocrinologist familiar with managing autoimmune [T1D] diabetes work with you - and make certain that he, your son, is referred to a CDE [Certified Diabetes Educator]…

Best wishes for your son and you;

I just feel so impotent on not having control of it is like what worked yesterday doesn’t worked today and is so hard I feel like I’m not doing enough

My doctor said never starve the baby. Dose for foods and snacks and never go less than 3 hours between correction doses so insulin doesnt stack. We do 1 unit for 50g and 1 unit for every 100 over 200, still struggle with his levels (dx@2, is about to turn 4) but he is also a dirty little food thief so we just need a pump