This isn't going to be sweet: don't read if you're easily offended

The best way to deal with the frustrations of people who do not understand how diabetes impacts a persons life is to listen and learn from the remarks.  I read that depressions is felt as though it is the diabetics fault where in reality this is a normal response to having the disease.  I did work and then became very ill and was placed on disability for 15 years.  I did get depressed and attempted suicide not because I was feeling sorry for myself but because I was tired of being sick.  I also have had test after test after test and as my doctor stated I do nothing by the book and it is never easy.  When  I go about doing things I do them the hardest way possible and I know this so I teach others this.  I was diagnosed at the age of three and now am 46.  Fortunateley for me I had the words best doctor taking care of me.  Through him I learned so much on how to care for myself and together as a team he learned from me and I from him.

I am fully aware of the consequences associated with diabetes and have lived with them for years.  I am a person who has hypo and hyperglycemia unawareness.  I do not feet my blood sugars go low or high but know that before I get into the care it is my duty to check my blood sugar and I always have something available to bring up my bs.  I have taken offense to the post that Michelle has written and have only read the first.  I live in a world with people who do not understand the impact that diabetes has on the person living with the disease.  The most important information that I can spread is that none of us are the same and what works for one will not work for the other.  We each must face our issues indepedently and use the advice of others as a way to help figure out our own illness.  Please keep me posted on ways of improving my health but lets leave the blaming bad people to those who do not understand what we are going through. 

I am new to juvenation and I like the fact that everyone speaks out on the bad and the good part of the disease.  This is what I need to help me survive the worlds lack of knowledge in my health.  I work at a hospital and do not think this is where people understand because they don't.  It is my job to help in educating them so wish me luck in the future in completing my work.  Have a good day.

this is a bad post and it should of never been up as far as I am concerned.  I think that the michelle really needs to look at how her words have impacted others and I hope she can learn news of giving advice with what I feel is blaming others.  I think the best thing to do is like you stated take it down.

Both Gina and Katie have reminded us about certain things on this site. We are all entitled to our own opinions and opinions. This thread has been looked at, commented on, and argued over. It should be dead and the only way it will be is if people who have issues with it either way just let it go. There is valuable information  out there in what people say whether we agree or disagree with it. Commenting on it and resurrecting this is can be just as bad.

Monica, I am sorry if you were offended. I also feel for you- it's really hard getting a handle on all of it.  I understand that. I'm also sorry for what you're going through at school- that WILL end.  I was lucky- most of mine stopped in gradeschool but now as a teacher, I still have kids making rude remarks about my seizures. Yes, it can suck.  I also understood what you are saying about therapy- I did that, too, in high school.  I didn't really feel like it helped much but then, I'm not really the kind of person who usually talks about my feelings (this site is one of the few places I actually do so).  I don't really have anything bottled up- I write.  I talk to my husband, my mom, my friends.  Therapy can be a wonderful thing while you're learning to cope.  I hope things get easier for you.  It seems really crappy right now, but you WILL come through this and you'll feel strong.  :)

Another post-script- I never intended to hurt a bunch of strangers. If I can figure out how to erase this whole thread, I will.  I don't especially think that's appropriate but if it's causing damage, I certainly never intended that as an outcome. For those of you who have expressed difficulties finding ways to cope, I hope you find some kind of outlet that works for you.  :)  Best of luck!

I couldn't remove the whole thread so I just removed all the portions that seemed to have offended some people. I hope this helps. I was unable to remove the offensive replies that others posted, but those apparently didn't bother anyone so I'm guessing it won't matter.

[quote user="Michele "]

Monica, I am sorry if you were offended. I also feel for you- it's really hard getting a handle on all of it.  I understand that. I'm also sorry for what you're going through at school- that WILL end.  I was lucky- most of mine stopped in gradeschool but now as a teacher, I still have kids making rude remarks about my seizures. Yes, it can suck.  I also understood what you are saying about therapy- I did that, too, in high school.  I didn't really feel like it helped much but then, I'm not really the kind of person who usually talks about my feelings (this site is one of the few places I actually do so).  I don't really have anything bottled up- I write.  I talk to my husband, my mom, my friends.  Therapy can be a wonderful thing while you're learning to cope.  I hope things get easier for you.  It seems really crappy right now, but you WILL come through this and you'll feel strong.  :)

[/quote]

thank you :)

[quote user="Michele "]

Another post-script- I never intended to hurt a bunch of strangers. If I can figure out how to erase this whole thread, I will.  I don't especially think that's appropriate but if it's causing damage, I certainly never intended that as an outcome. For those of you who have expressed difficulties finding ways to cope, I hope you find some kind of outlet that works for you.  :)  Best of luck!

I couldn't remove the whole thread so I just removed all the portions that seemed to have offended some people. I hope this helps. I was unable to remove the offensive replies that others posted, but those apparently didn't bother anyone so I'm guessing it won't matter.

[/quote]

hi Michele, how did you edit ? I hit --more then edit and it said post locked..

Meme- I just hit Edit and then deleted whatever seemed to bother people.  There was ONE portion that I was unable to access- as you said, the Edit option didn't pop and it said it was locked.  I couldn't delete/edit anyone ELSE'S posts (was originally just looking to get rid of the entire script) but was granted the option of editing anything that I posted (again, except one).  I have no idea how this system is set up but there are locks on most sites to prevent people from editing and/or getting rid of other writers' posts.  Beyond that, I honestly don't know.  Technology is definitely NOT my forte!

Michelle thank you for the this post.  I also have a lot of issues in response to being a long term diabetic and it so hard to get people to understand how hard it is to live with this disease.   I was uneasy with some of your but have since moved on.  I have been looking for T-shirts and some that  I have found that I think would work well with you as well as me is " I am in the insulin army fighting to win the war against diabetes", "This is what a hidden disability looks like", "fingertips of stell", "one day I would love to say I used to have diabetes", and this is my favorit "My pancreas works on triple AAA batteries."  I have found for me to get reliev I will find some laughter out of this.  I would rather laugh than cry because I get enough bad responses from those who do not unerstand this illness which is so much of america. 

I am having trouble at work due to peoples lack of understanding and I think the best way as I have read from others on this site is to do your best to educate others and it is so hard when you are around people who think they know what you are going through.  This is what I am dealing with at work and that is why I think I got offended.  I do not blame you and I reacted immediately instead of thinking about what I was saying.  I think we all do this because we all are very smart and know that we have to take care or ourselves because no one else will.  It is scary to work with people who leave you sitting at your dest when your blood sugar is in the 40's.  This has happened ot me twice in the last month so I am continuously on the defense and upset all the time.  I was told by Tommy Thompson (secretary of health) that diabetic children are the toughest and I agree 100% because as we grow older nothing changes in the response from so many around us.

Lady Di- You sound very down. :( If you need to vent and don't want to do it here, you're welcome to send me a private message/thread. I've gone through what it sounds like you're going through. If you decide that you feel you really NEED to, you may want to contact the Americans with Disabilities people- there are laws about what employers are allowed to do if you have reactions at work. That's not going to fix the way your co-workers react to your lows, but it might make you feel a little less threatened.  I'm not exactly the "typical" diabetic (if there is such a thing) but I don't have any complications and I feel grateful for that every day.  You'll make it through this.  I like that you're finding funny T-shirts to make you giggle.  That helps.  My little mantra is, "My body is trying to kill me and I refuse to die." Apparently, I started saying that as a teenager during a seizure and have been chanting it ever since. LOL