Tandem vs Omnipod...i need the truth

thanks a ton for your feedback. it’s great to hear from somebody that the tubing isn’t a problem even when in a concerning environment. i have a car project for an austin healey and i love golfing and lifting weight so i was thinking the tubing would be a deal breaker when around sharp spinny things and golf clubs. this has helped a lot thanks again!

I use the omnipod and Dexcom G6 combo and I love them. I love the omnipod because it is tubeless. I am very active in sports and things so no tube is great for me. But one of the down sides of the omnipod is that you have to carry around the personal diabetes manager (PDM). That is one of the things that I don’t like about it because if I don’t have pockets then it is hard to carry around both my phone and the PDM. But I don’t think that I could do the Tandem because of the tube. That is my opinion on the pumps, I hope I could help you decide which pump to choose.

2 Likes

I chose t:slim mainly because of the features I mentioned, the software upgrade ability and the assured path to the Control IQ feature in the near future. That kind of software is a true game changer! Omnipod is working on a similar software, but it’s going
to take a while. I did review Omnipod, but for blood sugar control, Tandem, in conjunction with Dexcom G6 is unbeatable.

I also don’t care for the potential mechanical variabilities related to changing pods, but that’s just my opinion, I haven’t seen any studies on the topic.

Blood sugar control is my number one goal, much more important to me than esthetics. You are a young man, and I understand your concerns about pump visibility, tubing, etc., but I suggest your #1 question should be something like, “Which of these two systems
will give me the best A1Cs for the next 4 years?” You are likely to live a long, healthy life as long as you can keep your blood sugar in control.

By the way, I am over 70, into tech all my life, and very physically active.

These are both good products, so neither is a bad choice. And those 4 years will go faster than you think.

Sorry for the delay in my response, your email went to my junk folder :roll_eyes:.

Mike

4 Likes

My parents had an Austin Healey Sprite MkII, a few Morris Minors, and even an MG TD when I was growing up. I’m probably the only Texan/millennial who can say they learned to drive in a right-hand drive stick-shift.:grinning:

I just tested this theory as Im typing this since I need to change injection sites right now anyways. I purposefully just ripped the tube out. The tube will unplug from the infusion set, without causing damage to the tube or dislodging the infusion site, if it is pulled in the direction that it plugs in. I always orient mine with the tube/connector facing down towards my waist. I have had it catch on something and unplug once or twice. Its almost like they designed it that way :face_with_monocle:
But really, the worst thing about a tube is when you use your pump and forget it is sitting on your lap. You stand up, the pump is propelled by gravity towards the earth, and the tubing arrests its fall. Always uncomfortable, but you realize that the tube just saved your $10,000 device from bouncing off the floor. I have dropped my pump more times than I can count, but it has never hit the floor. I could possibly be coerced into having my cellphone tethered to my flesh, the tube is so useful in this regard
The other worst thing is sleeping or taking a poop. When I sleep I just lay it beside me, sometimes under a pillow beside me. It is rarely noticeable, but I hate the thought of it there like that. The pillow also helps muffle its cries for a calibration or high SG approaching at 2am. The pump will always attempt to sing the song of its people at 2am. You could clip it to your waist band, or wear something with pockets, but I hate that idea too. Taking a poop, you have to set it somewhere or else you cant lower your pants to past mid-low thigh. The tubing is only 2 feet long, so pooping with your trousers past your knees or around your ankles, and your pump in your pockets, is a pleasure that only nondiabetics know of.

I also just though of a perfect evidence for my previous accusation that CGM sensors and Omnipods will catch on anything and everything. I snagged my Guardian 3 CGM sensor on a random stranger’s Omnipod in a bar once. We brushed shoulders, our cybernetic implants collided, and I instantly knew that we just became diabetic friends.

4 Likes

I agree with Edward. I place my pump in my pocket. I tuck the tubing into my waist band (i wear shirts tucked in for work so that helps). I have heard of people putting holes in their pockets so others dont see the tubing, but seeing it doesnt bother me. Its usually silly things for me like the tubing get snagged on a drawer handle that will make it come off (if i dont have it tucked in). I would always break the holsters that came with them.

I do the same thing with my CGMS also. Its like a door way attracts me to them and i brush up to them also.

You are really smart for researching the options and reading what other users of pumps have encountered. Is there any way that you can meet with a certified diabetes educator and have them actually show you the various options in person so you can handle them? Or, perhaps, let you apply them to your skin to see how it really feels? I know that in the beginning, I used saline in my pump for training purposes. But, I had already purchased my pump at that point. It would be nice if there was a way for you to try them out before making the investment. Anyway, I’m sure you’ll do well, whichever route you take.

2 Likes

@julespthomas Hi Jules, it is the purpose of “sales” to show the products and to allow you to make you own decisions… it is also the purpose to give you any data you ask for… and to hunt it down for you if necessary.

The pump and CGM manufacturers will come to you and demonstrate or even loan you equipment.

The pump and CGM manufacturers will go to your insurance company and tell you what your deductible costs and supplies/consumable costs will be,

There is very little you actually have to do, once you realize that THEY need YOU. it’s totally OK for you to wield a little authority here and start handing out assignments! it also doesn’t end with the sale, either. I “fired” a pump trainer for poor attitude once, and have had to get my endo in line a few times over the past couple years.

on another subject… I’ve never, ever had a problem with tubing. I prefer the tiniest of infusion site set size and glue, but that’s just me.

good luck.

2 Likes

Here are the main reasons I would go with Tandem.

1. It pairs with the Dexcom CGM 5g or 6g, which has incredible accuracy. The Medtronic CGM is mediocre at best–very inaccurate (I haven’t tried the Medtronic 670g because Medicare still doesn’t accept its CGM, two full years after being on the market).

2. It is software-updatable when improvements are made

3. When it is fully approved to act as a closed loop artificial pancreas, The T2 Slim:x2 will be updated to work in that manner. The closed loop is the next frontier for Diabetic management. You are young enough that it will make a huge difference over your long term health.

My doctor will only accept me as a patient if I use Medtronic. Does that sound like a kickback or what?

3 Likes

awesome thanks for your feedback and i’ve decided on tslim!!

1 Like

i found out that i can get a demo or somewhat trial with the tandem so that helped a lot with the stress of picking.

2 Likes

I use this terrific universal cell phone holster from Amazon. Long lasting, steel clip that can be opened wider or squeezed tighter with pliers. They are also long lasting. It’s called Extra Small Universal Horizontal Cell Phone Case / Pouch / Holster with Belt Loop & Belt Clip

Definitely tandem because it is going to look with dexcom and my son couldn-t get the omnipod to stay put.

Both are ok options. Choosing is tough but (because they are sensible) your preferences are most important. You need to live with it.

My choice has always been Medtronic I am very happily wearing the 670G now, but I was part of the t1 test groups used to develop the tslim and have always admired the omnipod. This is my 3rd pump.

Reasons for both Tslim and Omni as choices are touchy and feely. I say take your personal favorite and get psyched.

Tslim looks new and cool and was designed to be iPhone ish. For me it has the weirdest reservoir system and I am amazed it fits 300 units.

Omnipod is tube free. I love the concept. However, Tubes are only weird and something to avoid BEFORE you get your pump and if you are 10 or younger. For everyone else tubes are fine. Sleeping with an Easter egg is a bigger bother to me than tubes.

I also had tube issues at first poop. Pump companies even get it wrong sometimes and gave me 23 inch sets, I am over 6ft tall. Get the tubing to fit you. Sit on the toilet, bring a tape measure, measure from your lap to the floor. get tubing that is longer than that or you will be juggling your pump and balancing it in weird places everytime you sit down on your throne. Easy. I now use 32 inch or longer sets. Solved and sorted my 670G can stay in my pocket or attached to my belt when my pants are around my ankles.

Tubes are cool and have saved me more times than they have disconnected me. My Kids love them Pets love them and T1s love them and I think you would too almost immediately after you tried them.

For sports, I swam and did water polo. Disconnecting from the pump by tube is very easy and less bulky than a pod. Coincidentally my sons water polo coach is t1 pump user and he agrees.

Have fun picking, but get pumping. Deciding doesn’t help your A1C Or TR% (time in range): the fun new benchmark statistic. Thanks CGMs!

3 Likes

Hello @julespthomas. First, please accept my sympathies on your T1D diagnosis. It’s a bad thing. But, you have a lot of great life in front of you. My first advice is that you use your strong brain and initiative to minimize the impact of T1D on your life. The structure that T1D imposes on your life may actually have its benefits in other aspects of your life choices. So, follow your dreams.

Through organizations like JDRF, there are a lot of people working every day to lessen the impact of this disease on your life. We are making substantial strides at a faster rate. It is my prediction that you will have this disease no more than 20 years before there will be a functional cure. Until then, give T1D the attention it requires, and otherwise, live your life.

As for Tandem T:Slim or Omnipod, you cannot make a bad choice. You have received some great comparison/contrast advice already from the contributors to your thread. I would add one thing further. Feel free to try both before you make a purchase decision. Your physician’s practice and the company representatives should be able to make the test trials happen before you pick.

I want to echo the point of others that using a CGM is at least or more important than pumping insulin, in the whole diabetes management equation. Start with the Abbott Freestyle Libre or Dexcom G6 whenever you feel up to it. Again, try both before you pick. You don’t have to ‘marry’ any diabetes technology in order to try it.

There’s one more piece of advice I will offer. Several pharmaceutical treatments have been shown recently to slow the loss of functional beta cells in clinical trials in new-onset T1D. I suggest you and your parents take a look at the following article on one of those treatments, verapamil, a marketed anti-hypertensive agent. The link below goes to a recent Nature journal article publication on the latest verapamil clinical trial in T1D. Discuss it with your physician, as a possible off-label treatment option that may extend the life of your remaining beta cells. (Off-label use means the product has not yet been FDA approved for use in new-onset T1D. That said, the product has been approved and in use as an anti-hypertensive agent for more than 20 years.

All the best!
@andersrl

2 Likes

I edited the previous as it was a link to a pay for site.

Here’s a link to the .gov site for explanation of the trial. Also, The OP isn’t yet 16 and I don’t think would qualify as this trial seems to be oriented to adult populations.

Here’s the link

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02372253

1 Like

I’ve used Minimed (Medtronic), Animas, Cozmo, Omnipod, Snap, and now Tandem. Lessons learned: There is no perfect insulin pump, but some pump makers are better than others. Of the three remaining pump makers that weren’t put out of business by Medtronic, Omnipod and Tandem far exceed Medtronic for customer support.

As of July 2019, I can’t use Omnipod because the pods have a single cannula depth, but I can use Tandem because the tubing gives me flexibility to choose among many different options. Moreover, the Tandem integrates with the Dexcom G6 and gives me Basal-IQ for avoiding unexpected hypoglycemia that’s especially valuable at night of when exercising. The G6 integration gives Tandem the edge, but Omnipod will (hopefully) be coming out with CGM integration in the future.

2 Likes

Hello @Joe. I thought it might be helpful for @julespthomas to have a link to the Nature article for his physician, as a part of considering whether the treatment might be appropriate. Dr. Shalev’s email address as the corresponding author is available on the link landing page. She may be willing to provide an eprint of the article to Jules’ physician.

You are right that the completed study was in adults aged 18 and over. It is also true that the study has not yet been replicated, either in adults or pediatric populations. However, as I understand, further trials in both groups will be forthcoming soon. In the meantime, if I were newly diagnosed, I would want to know all available options for potentially preserving beta cell mass, so that I could weigh the risk/benefit balance in collaboration with my physician.

Thank you,
Randy

Thanks Joe, I read this this morning and didn’t have time to review the link - had kept it in my in-box for tonight.

1 Like

Hi Randy, no problem, I may have overreacted but it did appear that the site was only a fee based document site. There’s enough data here for s google search now. Good to hear from you.

Maybe because the 670g does it all … also many endo who are type 1DM use Medtronic 670g