Residential schools for troubled adolescents with type 1 DM

[quote user="concerned"]

... However, he is making essentially no progress and indeed things are getting worse. His behavior at home is awful and he's now essentially refusing to go to school at all.  ... , our main concern is getting him help to change this downward spiral he seems to be caught in.  He is an exceptionally bright and creative kid yet he seems hell-bent on self-destruction. 

[/quote]

in my opinion - change therapists, or change therapy strategies.  I think that for some of us, the thought of chronic Illness (as distasteful as diabetes is)can be the same as a diagnosis of terminal cancer.   In my own case, the fear of the "you will have this for the rest of your life"  and the anger that NO ONE  can help me - put me in a kind of a shock.  That shock led to numbness.  The numbness lasted for decades.  Making a person "comfortable" or hiding or avoiding the things that irritate us, or trying to smooth over all of this: could work, could do nothing, or could backfire.  It only got better for me once I confronted that anger - which was really just a reaction to my own fear.   I think if someone could hold that anger out in front of me until I couldn't deny it any longer then the roots of that anger could be exposed and the healing could begin.    I hope you find some peace with this.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, but I know exactly what you are going through with your son. My son is 12, diagnosed 3 years ago. We have just started to see the psychologist after a year of me begging for him to get help.
Good luck to you both.

Are you wanting him to see a psychologist for medication compliance issues?

For your son with type 1 diabetes, There residential boarding school in Canada and in Chile , I think the name is BSES Expedition school. They offer residential trip(3 days in France) doing mountain activities like rock climbing, archery, zip wire, ladder climbing with the informal international group called Mountains for Active Diabetics. You may visit this link for more information..

My situation with my son is exactly the same as yours.  I am currently checking out all private boarding schools and wilderness programs that will take type 1 diabetes and coming up empty handed, very very disappointing...Let me know what you find and I'll do the same. 

Dear rigb2105,

Sorry for the late response to your message.  These posts go to an email account I only check irregularly.  Sorry ...

We did not find *any* wilderness programs that were willing to take kids with type 1 diabetes who were not on an insulin pump.  (My son uses Lantus and humalog).  We found a counselor at a wilderness program who was himself a type 1 diabetic and he used to take adolescents boys with type 1 DM on his wildnerness programs.  However, since he now works exclusively with teen girls, he no longer takes boys on wilderness programs.  Most wilderness programs were concerned about the health risks for kids with type and they were also probably concerned about liability issues (though they didn't say that.)

We identified 2 excellent therapeutic boarding schools that take teens with type 1 diabetes: the Montana Academy and the High Frontier, in Fort Davis, TX.  Both are excellent programs.  The Montana Academy is described in the book, An Unchanged Mind, by the co-founder, John McKinnon.  The philosophy driving the High Frontier (positive peer culture) is described in the book, Positive Peer Culture, by Vorrath and Brendtro.

I must admit that I was quite skeptical about the effectiveness of therapeutic boarding schools, particularly in light of the highly negative publicity generated by abusive teen programs (as is described in Maia Salavitz's book, Help at Any Cost) and the hucksterism found on the internet by some of the programs (such as the 1-800 numbers for parents of "troubled teens" plastered on the internet).  I was further troubled by the lack of research documenting effectiveness (with the exception of a study financed by the ASPEN group, the for-profit organization that owns a chain of therapeutic boarding schools).

Our son is in a therapeutic school now and he is doing *much* better.  We're grateful that he seems to have stopped his rapid downward spiral.  It was a rocky ride, particularly at first, but he is doing much better now.  Making sure that his diabetes is being followed and managed appropriately has been quite a challenge, though.

I would recommend the following:

1. Consider one of the two schools I mentioned above.  One thing that you should check into is who your son's counselor or therapist will be.  Sometimes, the effectiveness of a school is highly dependent on the specific persons your child will interact with. 

2. Consider working with an educational consultant.  We worked with someone in our area but you could find someone near you who is a member of the Independent Educational Consultants Association: http://www.educationalconsulting.org/

I also spoke on the phone to Andy Erkis from Erkis Consulting and he was very good. ( http://erkisconsulting.com/

3. Consider purchasing the book, "Teens in Crisis: How the industry serving struggling teens helps and hurts our kids" by Frederic Reamer.  It is an excellent book and presents a very balanced perspective on helping teens who have significant problems.  

4. If you do look at a specific program/school, make sure that you ask lots of detailed questions about how and when they train their staff on diabetes.  Ask about how many diabetics they have had recently and how they have handled that kid's diabetes.

5.  I would be happy to discuss this in further detail with you off this chat board, but I don't know how to do that.  I don't feel comfortable posting my email address on here.

Good luck.

Please please be very careful about doing this. Many of those programs are awful and dangerous and are like prison camps. I know how it is to feel desperate about a kid with problems. You should seriously get some second or third or 4th opinions. There are worse things in the world than marijuana. It's not ideal but it is not hopeless. Maybe a local private school would be a better more moderate 1st choice. Your kid's school situation could be a nightmare and getting him into another school could help.

Info  PR: n/a  I: 71,200  L: 0  LD: 10,171  I: 854  Rank: n/a  Age: January 25, 2004  I: 0  whois source Robo: yes Sitemap: no  Rank: 467079  Price: 180 Links: 37|5 Density

In some Nursing Essay that I read, rehabilation may not a good to some especially for those who dont like to stop it so let him give some drugs little by little. Give him a good stop. I hope he will be fine.

Nursing Essays Writing Services for those college students.

I did some facelift san francisco and the medication is really great and I can say, medication is quiet important for it.