Report new diagnosis to motor vehicle dept?

Hi. I am new to this site. My 21 year old daughter was diagnosed three weeks ago. It’s definitely been overwhelming, but she is doing great. Does she need to report her diagnosis to the motor vehicle department?

Where I live when you first get a motor vehicle license you are signing a legaldocument that includes a list of conditions that you either tick off, if you have that condition, or leave blank if you dont’. I feel pretty sure that diabetes woud be on that type of form wherever you lived. I suggest you advise the motor vehicle department just to avoid possible future issues where the law is not in favour of people who plead ignorance. Also, the MVD in my area monitors diabetics with drivers licences and depending on your age requires medical reports from your doctor every 5, 3, 2 or 1 year at the time of your license renewal.

Thank you so much. It’s only been three weeks since my daughter’s diagnosis, so we are still trying to process everything. This was not something we knew about, so off to the motor vehicle department we go! Thank you again.

Hi Kathleen @KathyN,
I’m not a practicing attorney but unless you are aware that you signed a document stating that you would report all FUTURE changes in health to the licensing agency your daughter does not need to make a report. Before reporting something that doesn’t exist [yet], get informed guidance from a local adviser.
I’ve had driver operating licensing from two states for over 60 years, accident free, and I’ve never had to report diabetes - and I’ve had T1D since before I was old enough to drive.
I have heard of questions in some states that ask if you “have a condition that will impair driving”. Diabetes, well managed, will NOT impair driving.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your insight. My daughter is not up for license renewal just yet, but we plan to find out specifics from the motor vehicle administration. I am new to this site and have found such helpful folks. Thank you.

Hi Kathy! I’m also 21, but I was diagnosed almost 6 years ago. On my drivers license, it actually has a label under my picture that says “insulin dependent”. That way if something ever happened and someone looked at my license to see who I am, then they’ll see I’m insulin dependent. I’m from Florida though, so things are probably different if you’re from another state. I haven’t had to send any paperwork or updated doctors records either. So when I went to get my license, I just told them I’m Type 1 when they asked about any important medical conditions that need to be specified on the license.

Thank you very much! It definitively makes sense to have it included on her license. She is going to call our motor vehicle department to begin the process. Thanks again.

You’re very welcome! Good luck!

Good morning! My daughter plans to join this site as well, but until then I have another question. She uses the insulin pen and we are wondering how to keep track of injection sites to avoid scar tissue. She’s rotating her sites, but it’s confusing. At some point I know a pump will be an option. Thank you so much for any advice.

Kathleen @KathyN,
One method I have used to “monitor” injection site rotation is to name the various locations used as “breakfast”, “lunch”, etc. That way, her breakfast bolus will always be in the same general area and think about the actual spot of injection configured as a clock so that Monday’s breakfast shot will move slightly from sunday’s. I do at least eight fingerstick BG checks every day so I use all eight fingers in rotation plus, on even number of days I use the lower surface and on odd day numbers I use the upper surface. I try to avoid the center of my fingers because that area is more sensitive.

One reason I changed to a pump, after 37 years of injections, was to reduce the number of times I was sticking myself with needles. And then with a pump, I found great new flexibility in meal timing and several other benefits.

Your daughter will be welcomed here when she joins.

Thank you very much. I gave your suggestions to my daughter. I think they make much more sense to her than what she had been told when leaving the hospital. We left there with information overload! Thank you again.

I was dianosed at age 8. I am 64 now. I have never had to indicate that I am a diabetic for my license. Not sure what state you are in, but I have renewed in CA, GA and MA. I am not a lawyer but you should call your DMV and ask them.
BTW, you mentioned the whirlwind ride you have been on since her diagnosis. I am luving proof that your daughter can live a healthy and very normal fulfilling life. With all the technological advances like insulin pumps, CGMs and just advanced knowledge today she will be just fine if she is attentive to her health. I went through adolescence, went to college and married , had a long progessional career without a hiccup. She does need to be dillugent, but her duabetes should not run her life. It is important to incorporate diabetes into your life but not let it rule your life.

In some locales, such as DC where I live, individuals with a condition that could result in loss of consciousness must have their physician complete a medical form indicating they find the person to be responsible about managing their condition. If that’s the case, her endocrinologist might want to wait until she is past the honeymoon phase and things are stabilized before s/he signs off. Check to see what the requirements are in your area.

Thank you! That’s a good idea, we’ll definitely wait until all is stabilized. I’ll have her discuss it at her next endo appointment coming up.

Hi. My mother writes down where she injects in her pocket calendar along with her BG readings and dosing. I use to write mine in my logbook. It just takes two letters - - LA = left arm, LL= left leg, RA= right arm, etc. I’ve been at this a lot longer than my mom (53+ years for me, @8 years for her), and I’m so use to my own pattern that I don’t write it down any more. This will come with time!
Pam K
T1D 53+ yrs and counting!

That’s right Pam @pamcklein use the KISS [keep it simple …] methods. Why add still another task to our day-to-day busy management stuff. Like you, I “grew up in diabetes” diagnosed 1957 - and had to rely on personal skills and schemes such as you use. I even have a method for my eight per day fingersticks - I upset a few nurses when in hospital by insisting that they use a particular side of a particular finger and I didn’t give them a choice. And with my additional admonishment 'don’t poke me in the center pad of any finger. My doctor supported me and got me to instruct the nursing staff on TypeOne diabetes management.

Hi Dennis.
I too have upset my share of nurses. The main thing I usually try to teach them is to dry my finger from the alcohol before running my test. Even a small amount of alcohol on a finger can and does change the test result (I confirmed this through trials done at home!). Many times hospital nurses will wipe a finger with alcohol, poke it, and apply the blood to the test strip without ever wiping the first drop with a clean dry wipe such as a cotton ball. I stop them and tell them they need to with the explanation above. Good to know there are others like me who try to pass on what we know to make things better for everyone!
By-the-way, I was diagnosed in 1964. We’ve both been at this a long time and seen the many changes to treatment over the years.
Pam

1 Like

Thank you both for sharing your experience and ideas. We’re learning so much from this site and all of you.