Pens vs Pumps

Thank you for sharing :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for sharing. Others perspective is always helpful :blush:

Thank you for sharing. :blush:

Thank you for sharing. It’s great to get someone’s perspective that actually lives it. :sunglasses:

Thank you for sharing. It’s very helpful :blush:

Thank you for sharing. I believe there is a pen now that has some type of log in it.

Thank you for sharing :blush:

Thank you for sharing :slightly_smiling_face:

Why does it have to be ‘either’? I do ‘both’.
It started off by accident.
Because of a quirk of my insurance, even though My insurance paid for a pump and Dexcom, my insurance fought me for vials, but not for pens and penfill cartridges, so I fill my pump with penfill carts and I can go back to pens a lot easier than other pwd.
When I plan to be out going and about, especially if I’m going to a restaurant with no carb counts, I’ll use the pump for better control and flexibility.
If I’m having a quiet weekend at home and I don’t plan to exercise, I’ll do pens if I don’t have a infusion set in me already.

Also because of this quirk, my threshold to revert to the pen is low if I have trouble with my pump, and because i use pens semi-regularly, I’m not stressed out if I have to go ‘old school’ for a day.

My a1c is 6.5 with ‘minimal risk’ of hypos, so my endo tells me to ‘keep doing what you’re doing’.

1 Like

Are you pens and refills U-100 or U-200? I received U-200 pens and filled my pod with that insulin. I crashed 2 nights in a row until I realized that the U-200 is twice the strength, so I reprogrammed my pump. It was all good after. Just got my A1C results. I dropped from 6.6 to 6.4! The pump works great for me.!!

Joey

you are lucky… at 2x strength you could have had a very bad experience. i’d probably be in the hospital… curious though, didn’t anyone tell you that it was twice the concentration? you should probably also be aware that there are such things as U300 and U500 as well

1 Like

I’ve been T1 for 43 years. I was on a Medtronic pump for the last 23 years and just came off it in February and I am thrilled! I was so tired of being “tethered”. I am using Tresiba and Humalog pens now, but I eat a keto diet and my blood sugar has never been better. I find my life much more carefree now and resisting carbs makes it worth it, Those tiny pen needles 5 times a day hurt less than the infusion sets that come with the pump and I’m sure leave less scar tissue. I also use the Freestyle Libre CGM, which I love. I highly advise reading The Ketogenic Diet for Type 1 Diabetics. Available on Amazon. It’s been a lifechanger for me!

Hi
I just got a tandemx2 pump three weeks ago and I was on pens for a 8 months. I love the pump!
I dont have to carry a bag anymore just clip my pump on. At first I didnt really like having a pump attached to me but idk really care anymore. And it definitely is way better for controlling my blood sugar since I can do half units and even smaller now.