Hypo seizure

Hi Sarah @sjz333, it is nice to have a pump that shuts off [I use the Control IQ system], and a CGM which gives loud alerts, but this may be addressing only the symptoms, and not his real problem. It is almost like throwing someone a bailing bucket when the boat is on the bottom of the sea rather than offering caulking before the boat set out.

To date, I’m not aware of any method to drain insulin out of one’s body after it has been infused/injected. I suggest, that you strongly, VERY strongly, suggest that he address how he calculates his carbohydrate count for meals, and question the accuracy of his Carb:Insulin ratios for meal-bolus, and the basal rates he has in his pump Profile(s). This would address the basis of his hypoglycemia and may allow you to rest more assuredly.
If he wants some tips for adjusting his rates, suggest that he ask here, and search for the many other “strings” that have this information.

2 Likes

A while back there was a post - maybe a couple - about people who don’t wake to their alerts. There were some creative and admirable solutions, including putting the pump/receiver in a tin pan. Someone found success using their phone as the receiver. Look for “wake up” in the search box - hopefully something there will help.

2 Likes

I got T1D at 10 years old. I’m 27 years old now. Between the ages of 15 and 19, I had many hypoglycemic seizures, usually in the middle of the night. My mom would get a funny feeling in her chest and think she needed to go check on me and she’d find me having a seizure. I believe God was guiding her to go check on me. I also went unconscious a few times, in the middle of the day, due to low blood sugar.

I haven’t had a seizure since I was about 19 years old, but I have still passed out several times from low blood sugar. It can be scary. Always make sure you carry a glucagon shot with you and instruct family members and/or your partner on how to give you the shot if you have a seizure from hypoglycemia or if you pass out.

Talk to your doctor about your concerns and fears. Maybe they can adjust your basal rates / long acting insulin so that you are less likely to go low. I wish you the best.

Hi @OcelotKitty. There’s now an inhaled alternative to glucagon. Some people have no problem mixing and injecting it for someone, but it sounds much less intimidating for those that do.
Do you use a CGM, and have you spoken with your doctor about adjusting your insulin if you’re not comfortable doing it on your own?

Oh, I didn’t know there was an inhalation method of glucagon. That’s pretty cool. I just carry a shot with me. I don’t mind the shot and my husband is ok with administering it to me if I’m unconscious.

@OcelotKitty Hi Kitty, and welcome to the JDRF TypeOneNation Forum! I hope that you will find here much encouragement for you in your journey with diabetes, and that you will share with others what you have learned.

One of the purposes this site serves, along with the other JDRF pages [jdrf.org] is to help all of us keep abreast of “new stuff”, and what we have learned. Of course, each of us is a little different, but often what has worked for you may also work for me; this site does not intend to replace or countermand good, professional medical care.

“Change” is the only thing I have found that is consistent in how we manage our diabetes and I find it important to stay abreast of innovation - an I’m now in my 64th summer living with diabetes. A site, with weekly newsletter of the latest diabetes information is diaTribe Foundation [diatribe.org]. You may want to look at that site and sibn-up for the newsletter.

1 Like

I couldn’t think of the name before so I Googled it. Here you go.

1 Like

Hi, Dennis. Thank you for the welcome! :slight_smile: