Dexcom or Medtronic Sensor?

I am very happy with my Medtronic Minimed 530G system and the Enlite sensor. I have had no problems with accuracy or reliability. Customer service has been excellent! Most of the technical support is based in San Antonio, Texas. I always ask where the rep is located and they never been outside San Antonio or Northridge, CA. In two years I have had to replace three sensors that failed mainly due to operator error. The Enlite inserter is very easy to use. I recently replaced the transmitter after almost three years. It was still able to be recharged, but my ANP/CDE suggested that it was time for a new one.

I have never used the Dexcom but have heard good things about it from users at I-P.org. The one negative that I have seen discussed is the transmitter life. It only has a six month warranty and needs to be replaced every year from what i understand. I am a very satisfied Medtronic Diabetes customer. I know both the local technical sales rep and her regional manager. They also have an excellent local pump/CGM trainer and educator. I don’t know anybody who uses the Dexcom, probably because MM customer support is excellent in my area.

I’ve only been using the DEXCOM 4G platinum since August, but used the DEXCOM 7-plus for 14 months starting on 2/2011 until 5/2012 and my transmitter was still working well.
I’m hoping that the transmitter this time will also last longer than 6 month. The DEXCOM rep, who also uses one, told me trasmitter do last longer than the guarantee.
Now for the once considering upgrading. The 5G battery only last 3 months and at that points just dies.

I first used the Medtronic, but could only use two sensors before suffering a severe allergic reaction. Since the warranty on the system was for a year, I had to wait a whole year before trying the Dexcom, which is what I have used ever since. I am now on the latest one, and have the receiver built into my insulin pump (the tslim G4 - you can also get one included in the Animas pump) so that I only have one machine to carry in my pocket. The Medtronic took at least 24 hours to give accurate readings, which is pretty useless - it basically only worked 2 out of every 3 days. The Dexcom has always been accurate from the first hour. The Medtronic sensors had to be replaced after 3 days, the Dexcom officially last 7, but many of us simply restart them and get 2 weeks or more of accurate readings out of each sensor, which saves money. And I really need the immediate accuracy to warn me of low blood sugars. After the first 15 years of diabetes I could no longer detect my blood sugars. My family could still tell when I was low. But now, after over 40 years, even they cannot tell when I am suffering a low blood sugar. Having the glucose sensor squawk at me repeatedly is worth every penny.

I used the enlites and they were OK, but then I switched to dexcom and it has been perfect most of the time. I wear the sensors on my thighs and keep them for two weeks. The enlites would wiggle and somehow were not as accurate. I have the medtronic pump so I do have to wear two devices.

T1 for 50 years in July next year. Minimed pump since 2001. Tried for several years to make the companion CGMS sensors work with only 1 successful week of use. Blah. Gave up. My endo recommended the Dexcom G4 and I am totally hooked. Accurate. Easy. The receiver doesn’t beep and vibrate incessantly for no reason. The sensor wire doesn’t get gooped up with interstitial fluid build up or inflammation of the insertion site. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Dexcom, in short. ONLY drawback is the lack of communication to the pump, but that gives me something to do.

I’m currently using the Minimed pump with enlite, but am seriously wanting to try dexcom because having so many issues with enlite. Have had pump and enlite for almost 1 year. I love the pump, but enlite has literally been a pain. More than half the time inserter refuses to detach. We got it replaced, but the new one still has the same problem. And readings are more off than correct, especially at night. So we just turn off alarms. For the last couple months the sensor had my numbers bouncing up and down like a yoyo, one minute it would be at 100, five minutes later it would jump to 120, then another five minutes it was down to 80. Rep had me try a new transmitter, but it hasn’t fixed the issue. Becoming very frustrated. .

Disclaimer: I have never used the Enlite sensor from Medtronic, but I do wear the Medtronic pump.

After a lot of research and many online discussions between diabetic friends I chose the Dexcom system because of it’s proclaimed accuracy and ease of use. I LOVE my dexcom. It is always accurate, easy to insert, and wakes me up in the middle of the night when those pesky lows hit. I’m currently pregnant with our second baby, and I couldn’t do it without my dexcom. Last pregnancy my highest A1C was 6.4, while I averaged 5.9 throughout the rest of pregnancy. Highly, highly, highly recommend dexcom.

However, if you don’t like carrying around a lot of stuff, you may feel that having another device to carry around with you is too much. And I have a few friends who like having all of their information on one device, totally understandable. I’ve heard from these friends that the Enlite sensor is a little trickier to calibrate, and they’ve had a few problems with insertion and sensor failure, but since have figured out a way that gets everything to sync up.

So while I have to stay true and give props to Dexcom on their device, you may find that the Enlite is the one for you. Do your research, and ask your endo if you can trial each of them. Most docs can put one on you to wear for a week so that you can see which one you prefer. Last time I did it, I was told that the Enlite sensor gets put on and then they download it after a week. With the Dexcom they give you the receiver so you can see it real time. This may have changed since I did it 2 years ago.

Best of luck!

I’m considering getting a Dexcom G5 to use in conjunction with MDI. Does anyone else do this?

I see several people say it is very accurate. What do you mean by that? the results that the CGM shows are about the same as a blood tester? How close are they?

Can you rely on it to drive or exercise without testing first? Does anyone dose off of the results?

Many diabetics I know use the dexcom with MDI. Less finger pokes is a bonus no matter what insulin delivery route you choose.

I have used the Dexcom for just over 2 years now and it has always been within 30 points of my actual blood sugar. It needs to be calibrated twice a day with a finger poke reading. This being said, many of us still test when we feel low/high, before exercise, or before dosing for a high blood sugar. I, personally, have dosed off of it in the past, and it has always been accurate, although Dexcom and your doctor will tell you not to do this. I would say it is accurate enough to drive or exercise with, I have done both and never had a problem. Also, if you have hypoglycemic unawareness it will be your new best friend.

Hope this helps.

HI,

I have been using Medtronic Pump for over 15 years. I had used the Soft Sensors and upgraded to the ENLITE in December. My A1C has always been high (10 and over) the soft Sensors CGM by MiniMed, worked well, a few problems but my A1C came down to 7.8 

Since beginning with the Enlite system, I have had nothing but problems, I get works up by MANY false lows, calibrate and the pump does not take the calibration, SO I get woken by another alarm. This can happen (and has) up to 6 times a night. This happens not just of the first day, and usually ends up with CAL ERROR and then BAD SENSOR. When I call Medtronic the rep has do go through a long problem solving list for EACH ISSUE, calls can take up to 25 mins on hold, and then another 45 mins or so with the rep, only for them to say they will replace the sensor. IF I wait till the day hours to call, I get a reprimand saying I should have called when the issue began to which I respond: Trust me after being woken up 6 time and then get a sensor error, you did NOT WANT ME calling you. Mini Med tech always seems to have another “fix” for the sensor errors such as, do not sleep on the sensor, insert the sensor vertically as opposed to horizontally, do not calibrate if you are Low (or rather the pump/CGM says you are)

ASLO with Medtronic, their Carelink
uploader has a glitch and has not net synced with Windows 10, so I cannot upload my meter. That means my MD only has the CGM/MiniMed information to make treatment changes. The uploaded information does not show the reported lows were a malfunctioning sensor, so my MD does not have accurate information for clinical decisions. She recommended I get the Dex Com. I have had it for three weeks. Dex Com processed the order and had it in my hands in 48 hours.

Still waiting (since Feb 4th) for the T-Slim (Tandem) pump to complete the Dexcom system. Dex Com sensor does not communicate with the Mini Med pump (so the suspend threshold Mini Med has does not function which is the main reason my MD had me switch)

The soft sensors for the Mini Med are no longer available (Medtronic has stopped production of them and are upgrading Current CGM users to the Enlite sensors)

PROS of Dex Com……

1. Seems to be more reflective of my BG with finger sticks.
  2. Send information to my cell phone and I can send a link my son (who lives in a different state) and to my MD.
  3. My son would get current reading AND will be alerted for any lows and or highs. (I live alone so this is a huge comfort to him)
  4. Dex Com sensors last 7 days 5) I have had NO ISSUES with false alarms, high or low.

CONS:

1. Calling Dex Com : be prepared to be on hold for over 45 mins, no matter what time of day or night you call them. (One tech said they are in the process of training new staff who will be on the phones by the end of April)
  2. If you just use the receiver (provided with your first order) the receiver will vibrate for alerts, however the AUDIO ALERTS do not always work. They know this but do not tell you this when you place your order.
  3. Not good if you set it on your night stand when you are sleeping.

After a few weeks of trying to get the T-Slim I am completely frustrated: I began this process(Feb 4th) by first making contact with my insurance co and was told I did not need pre cert to make this change, I provided this information (and the call reference number) to the sales person I spoke to. Too many issues for the delays to go into, but it comes down to the sales rep is “lame” (to be polite) SO I researched both companies and sent e-mail and voice mails voicing my concerns and forwarded a few of the e-mails I have from the sales rep. (see below)

In doing this research, I found that Edgepark had over 372 NEGITIVE reviews.

My Insurance company, MD and I are doing everything we can do to get me the T-Slim

I hope my experience helps you make a decision you are comfortable with.

Pump N Go

Michael Petras
Cardinal Health
President of Post-Acute Solutions
7000 Cardinal Place
Dublin, OH 43017
Phone: 614.757.5000 (select dial by name for his direct line)
Michael.Petras@CardinalHealth.com

Mr. Kim D. Blickenstaff ceo extension 6876
KBlickenstaff@tandemdiabetes.com
Corporate Headquarters:
Tandem Diabetes Care, Inc.
11045 Roselle Street
San Diego, California 92121
Corporate Phone: (858) 366-6900

I am very happy with the Medtronic 530G Enlite system which I have used for more than two years with excellent results. I do not know any Dexcom users but my diabetes care team has several patients that use Dexcom who have also achieved positive results. I know the local Medtronic territory rep and trainer who are always available to help and have many years experience. The 24 hour help line representatives are very well trained and provide excellent service. All the CGM users I know from my local support group are Medtronic customers and very satisfied with the product.

I had some bad experience with the Medtronic Sensor, and wanted to share this information. Apparently what I experiences is not unique. What I was able to learn is this:

1. all sensors use something as their code material
  2. most of the time the cores are made of a metallic material
  3. what Medtronic used in 1995- ( I don’t have an end date) caused allergic reactions in a lot of users
  4. when I questioned the R & D department, I was told that 10-15 % of their problems were due to allergic reactions.
  5. why ? I do not know, but apparently they have revised the sensor, but, as I am not a current user, cannot say that has changed
  6. I have asked a lot of other users, and it seems that this problem was not unique to me.

Just some thoughts.

Arnold

I recently switched from the Enlite CGM to the Dexcom G4 and am very pleased with the accuracy and ease of insertion. I also like being able to insert into my upper arm to give my belly a break. Right ow I’m using my Medtronic 530 G with The Dexcome system, but will be changing to the T-Slim pump that integrates with Dexcom.

Dexcom seems to be the leader in CGM technology and the new pumps that Medtronic are coming out with are not researched as well as Dexcom sensors. Medtronic when announcing their closed loop system, did not even have patient trials. They just give you their word that the new pump will be better. I will let you know.