Dexcom G6 had wildly off reading!

Hi @olewirebender. Sorry if I missed it but have you tried your outer thigh? It’s not one of the approved sites but if you are restricted to certain sleeping positions and the one allowed is blocked, maybe your physician can help you get an override to use a different site? It may be painfully obvious that I’m not familiar with Medicare, and I apologize if I’m telling you something you’ve already tried given your experience and your profession, but thought I’d suggest it.

@Jessmulder Hi Jessica, and welcome to the TypeOneNation Forum! I hope you find on here some helpful information, usually offered by people who are not medical professionals, that others have learned while living with diabetes; and that you in turn will share your “diabetes” experience.

When / If the very fine sensor wire of the Dexcom CGM “gets compressed” it will provide INACCURATE low readings; I have found this true for both G5 and G6. The most common occurrence for this phenomenon, for me, is while sleeping. In the past, when this would happen, I did exactly what you did - but now with more experience, I react differently.

Now, instead of grabbing one or two glucose tablets off my night-stand, or getting a drink of fruit juice. I just read what my pump is saying [I use the Tandem t-Slim pump as my primary Receiver] and cancel the message, and then stay awake for ten minutes and see what the two next readings are. I have my pump settings that tell me when my BGL is anticipated to drop to 75, so I have adequate safety when waiting.
Usually, unless the “low” reading was actually legitimate, I will see two readings that actually show at least a 5 mg/dl increase. My “sleeping target” is set at 110 mg/dl, so a 10 mg increase within15 minutes tells me that all is well.

Hi Shelly,

I’ve been using the Dexcom G6 since it was released and generally find it to be fairly reliable, but the biggest caution I have with it is that there is undoubtedly a delay in the reading vs the real blood sugar. What I mean is that is that when my sugar drops, I usually can pick up on it by how I feel before it registered on my Dexcom, and if I check on my Glucometer sure enough, I’m low. I think the Dexcom is a life saver- literally. I blacked out while driving on a major NY interstate going at least 80mpg in rush hour traffic (3:30PM). After waking up on the side of the highway by the grace of God crossing 3 lanes of traffic and 18 wheelers and passing water, rocks, and guardrails, I didn’t hit a thing. My car stopped from the bouncing of the uneven grass and I only fractured my spine, sternum and a rib. After that Dexcom came to the rescue!! I drive for a living so I depend on its accuracy but I have my alarm set at 90 because we all know blood sugar decreases tend to come on fast and recuperation tends to take a while.

I’m glad you checked your sugar before treating it! Always best to double check. Wishing you the best health and safety!! :blush:

1 Like