Cinnamon?

Okay, i am sure this topic has probably come up before.  Cinnamon, yes or no?!  I have been hearing about the benefits of cinnamon on reducing or helping to maintain BG levels.  Also, I have noticed that even the vitamin isle has cinnamon capsules where the bottle itself is labeled claiming these benefits as well.  What is your take or experience?

I've heard of this from a few people, but I have no actual experience with regard to how well it works. I LOVE cinnamon, but I haven't tracked the effects of it when I eat it.

Might be something to try. :) I mean, after all, it can't hurt, right?

Yes, i have hear about it but never tried. Has anyone heard anything about passion fruit? I notice that when I eat or drink it, my BG goes low. I testes a few times by checking and not bolusing, and it goes down every time! One I was even a little high and it came back down to a normal level..

Figs, kiwi, kumquats, tangerines and passion fruit all have lower amounts of carbs than other fruits, but there should be some other reason that your blood sugars are dropping when you eat it. The only way you can absolutely guarantee that the fruit alone is causing the change is by stopping all bolus (some bolus insulins last for 4 hours after you take them), sitting in a chair, and eating one passion fruit. If your sugar drops then, I'd be extremely puzzled.

[quote user="Trevor"]

Figs, kiwi, kumquats, tangerines and passion fruit all have lower amounts of carbs than other fruits, but there should be some other reason that your blood sugars are dropping when you eat it. The only way you can absolutely guarantee that the fruit alone is causing the change is by stopping all bolus (some bolus insulins last for 4 hours after you take them), sitting in a chair, and eating one passion fruit. If your sugar drops then, I'd be extremely puzzled.

[/quote]

Im saying that what i tried. I tested it to see if it would work.. And at least for me, it drops, even with no on-board-insulin or bolusing for the fruit. It puzzling but it could happen.

That's wild. Wait... I remember I had an issue similar to this, but it was with an application of codeine when I was in hospital once.

I took some kind of medication with codeine in it and my blood sugar dropped through the floor. Since that day, I've classified it as an allergic reaction to codeine, just because I don't want to take the risk of taking it again, especially with the inherent danger of being diabetic when that kind of thing happens.

A possible allergic (or something) reaction may explain some kind of blood sugar drop. I'm not sure why, though, and there's no documented evidence that indicates that allergies can cause blood sugar drops.

it might helps, acording to some ppl, and i ve read a lot of articles saying it may lower the BG, try it, (tried it before but i dont like the taste very much), green tea tastes terrible wif adding lil bit of cinnamon

I take cinnamon tablets with each meal. I don't know abotu cinnamon alone because at the same time I take alpha lipoic acid. These things combined have allowed me to take a significant less amount of insulin than before I discovered these things.

[quote user="Trevor"]

That's wild. Wait... I remember I had an issue similar to this, but it was with an application of codeine when I was in hospital once.

I took some kind of medication with codeine in it and my blood sugar dropped through the floor. Since that day, I've classified it as an allergic reaction to codeine, just because I don't want to take the risk of taking it again, especially with the inherent danger of being diabetic when that kind of thing happens.

A possible allergic (or something) reaction may explain some kind of blood sugar drop. I'm not sure why, though, and there's no documented evidence that indicates that allergies can cause blood sugar drops.

[/quote]

It could be, never know... Thanks for the comparison. :)

Had a visit with my endo today, he said cinnamon can lower insulin resistance, so for it is more of a type 2 treatment. Haven't gotten around to database searching it yet, I'll post more if I find something.

My grandpa heard about this a couple of years ago. He has type II and is in very good control, he only needs to test his bg every couple days to make sure he's on track. But even so he decided to try having more cinnamon in his diet. After a few months it didn't seem to be making a huge difference, no real correlation. But I'm curious to hear if anyone has tried and benefitted by eating more cinnamon!

haha cinnamon doesn't help me much it does make it so i don;t go as high but i'm way to allergic to it lol