770g frustrations

Thanks for the input. What sites have you found work best for your cgm? I’ve moved around a little…but not a lot.

Mostly, I use the backs of my arms. It also works across my stomach all the way to my side.
CGMs can be picky. The guardian works the same places I used the dex g5. The G6 only worked, for the full 10 days, in a small area around my belly button.
Maybe its the tape procedure that medtronic uses that causes problems for many people? I was advised against using the provided tape. Never used it. Always just an overtape, against the official documentation of the company.
Reguardless, the 770g is still using the same software as the 670g, just updated the hardware. The only real improvement to their automode will come when they finally get the 780g update approved.
I don’t know how long you’ve been T1 but we’re always promised the next advancement is coming soon…

I’ve never had success on abdominal because my skin reacts to the tape. Never use the provided tape either…just a sensitive skin clear medical tape all the way over it. With that on, I have little issues with it staying on. I gave my arms a break and started using my thighs. They are sorta ok…
I’ve been t1d for 36 years, and 2 years in with my son, so its my world. G6 isn’t perfect, and he has gone through some bad tape issues. Dexcom is awesome about replacing them. I filed for replacement of sensors 2 weeks ago with Medtronic…still have received anything. Dexcom had replacement is days.
Here’s to the next bigger and better treatments! :beers::grin:

1 Like

Well. I’ve only got a couple of T1 years longer than you but I’m sure you’re familiar with the game. If somethings working for you, then it is working. If there were only something that worked for every body then it would be easier.
I understand why some people love the g6 and some people get good service from them. The same with tandem.
For me so far, Medtronic has been good with the 2 replacements I requested. Thats not enough to decide if the support is good or bad, in my opinion.
I would say that my experience was mostly positive with dexcom but, they altered their service, delivery and product in a way that it wasn’t in my best interest to continue the use of it. Hopefully, everyone does what is best for their care. Wish you the best on figuring out your path, and your sons, from here…

Grumpy

2 Likes

The Medtronic 780 with a new CGM sensor is coming (although not soon enough), and it is significantly better than the 670. My daughter has been in the clinical trial for the last two years and has had far fewer alarms with the new system. With the new sensor, she is only calibrating about once a week. She was ready to switch to Tandem until she started the trial and now plans to stick with Medtronic. With all the delays at the FDA (they have been a wee bit busy with COVID and all), there is no date yet for when the 780 will go to market but hoping it will be within the next year. Hang in there, Medtronic users!

2 Likes

I too have a 770 and am annoyed with all the beeps and never get to sleep thru the night. Many times it doesn’t seem to like that my blood sugar is stable, in the mid 100s, so it wants a bg. I hate that. I also will not shut off my alarms due to the actual instance when I would go low. And, it is more of a concern for my wife, as I frequently sleep thru the alarm and she pokes me to shut it off. I switched to the back of my arm for the sensor also and that is much better for CGM accuracy and continued success. I have received a new transmitter. There was about 8 days where I changed my sensor 10 times. Finally, on the 10th call the Medtronic, someone finally realized the transmitter should be replaced. I too am thinking of leaving Medtronic after many years with them. I haven’t researched what to pair the Dexcom with, and not thrilled with maybe having to have more than 1 device to use the pump and CGM, but we’ll see in Jan 2022. I used Dexcom about 6 years ago, and did like its accuracy.

1 Like

Yes - that is when mine was asking for BGs overnight - when it was wonderfully lower and stable! Isn’t that the whole point? I am much happier with auto mode off! I haven’t had any overnight issues, and feel more in control, as I was also having issues with it driving me down after a high, and then dropping too low, making me eat when I didn’t want to. My son has the Tandem set up - Tslim with Dexcom G6. Although not perfect either, it is much better, and the sensor is fairly accurate.
Hope you get some solutions soon! Lack of sleep isn’t easy to deal with.

1 Like

As I posted upthread, I intend to switch from Medtronic 670 G to Tandem and Dexcom, pretty soon. I used to have Dexcom G5 before Medtronic. When I wore it on my torso, the numbers were often very different from my meter…like 50-100 off. That changed when I switched to wearing it on my outer arm. So, I’ll likely wear it there again.

My questions are: do you ever finger stick with Dexcom? If so, why and when?

How can you be confident the numbers are fairly accurate, if you never finger stick?

@HighHopes - my Dexcom is rarely more than 10 points off of my fingerstick reading so I’ve developed enough confidence from that history, that I’m fine just doing random sticks now and then. I also do them to confirm readings if I’m feeling low. There’s no reason you can’t do fingersticks of it makes you more comfortable especially as you’re getting comfortable with the system. My insurance covers them in addition to my CGM - that may or may not be the case with yours.
That said, some people find their CGM readings are less accurate the first day of a new sensor; and keep in mind there is typically a lag time of 15 or 20 minutes between fingerstick and CGM readings.
Also a couple of things about Tandem that Medtronic transfers may not be crazy about: Tandem doesn’t use batteries - it plugs into a charger instead. I usually use a portable charger and can go from 20% to full battery in half an hour or so. Also the cartridge fill process is less efficient than Medtronuc’s - there’s no adapter so you have to draw insulin into a syringe (provided) and fill the cartridge from there. Something you may need to get used to. No regrets about the switch for me.

1 Like

I can deal with variations in the numbers if within reason. I’ve heard experts say that we can’t be sure the meter number is right either. But, I do rely more on it than the CGM.

I have no issues with charging. I think I prefer that over batteries. I’ll get a power pack to use in case of power outage.

I need to watch a video of the insulin filling process to see what people are describing. I’m not sure how that differs from filling the reservoirs I have. I can’t see it being a deterrent for me.

If I switch over and don’t like it……then, I’ll be disappointed, but I’ll survive. I’ve lived with a system I disliked for years, so it’s nothing new. I am so displeased that it’s worth the risk. I actually feel that I’ve suffered a form of PTST over the last several years……I may have to look into it.

I hope you find you like it when you make the switch. I think Tandem has a 30 day trial period.

2 Likes

Hi, Karen This Summer I was going to switch over to the Tandem Tslim from my Medtronic 670G, which was out of warranty (4 or 5 yrs?). I told my endo that I wanted to try the Tandem. Of course he’s a Medtronic guy, so he asked that I talk to the rep. to see what the comparison’s were. I basically got talked into, or let myself get talked into trying the 770G.

Their reply to some of my questions regarding getting better auto correction with high, was that Medtronic had lowered their algorithms so it would correct highs sooner and even more after the 780G software upgrade. I feel like I got smoke blown up my behind.

Of course now I deeply regret having made this choice due to the reasons you stated (bg required multiple times per day/night). It’s actually far worse than the 670g. It still doesn’t seem to be correcting to lower high bg’s any sooner. I’m so frustrated right now and have not complained yet to Medtronic. I did complain to the reps that talked me into the product. They told me to make an appt. to see if this can be corrected. I likely won’t. It’s next on my list, to complain to Medtronic, after I’m done with this reply.
Feeling your frustration with you! Grrrrrr

2 Likes

I am so sad that this frustration is so common. I spent $400 to upgrade and regret it. For what it’s worth, I have enjoyed the manual mode A LOT more. I saw my endo last week to make some dosing adjustments. But, the overnight alerts have stopped! Still have suspend before low and safety features. Just have to be super honest with carbs because there is nothing trying to tweak my sugars.

The tweaking of BG’s in auto-mode needs much work so I may do like you’ve done and use manual mode.
Thanks for responding to my rant. Lol
Annie

Same here. the 670 isn’t all it is cracked up to be.

1 Like

Hi @ammaley . I’m a Tandem user and just wanted to share something recent: I’ve used Tandem for many years and started on Control IQ (similar to Medtronic’s loop) a couple of years ago now. I tweak my settings as necessary but lately my corrections for lows weren’t working as well as I wanted. I had worked with my endo on adjusting them - think of it as a second opinion - but was still frustrated, so I decided to get a refresher from my Tandem rep and it’s been immensely helpful: she gave me some insights into Control IQ that I didn’t recall learning when I took the required online training. I appreciate your frustration. By all means let Medtronic know about your issues and frustrations, but sitting down with your rep may prove helpful.

Hello Medtronic users. I am at my wits end trying to work with someone in the CS for my guardian sensor issues. I have had to change the sensor 3 times within 24hours, causing severe pain on my skin, frustration, tears, and pretty much giving up entirely. The last CS rep I spoke with (20mins ago) did the transmitter testing and said it is fine so it is my body rejecting the sensor regardless of where I place it. I have another health conditions that has required surgeries every 2 years so I have severe scar tissue around my abdomen, but I used the dexcom before and never had this issue. I placed the CGM on the back of my arms and it doesn’t read it either, after 3 days it says it can’t read the sensor or sensor change. I’m not sure what else to do at this point since I have now been using my BG and I see a huge difference 50+ point difference from what the pump says and what my BG reader is giving me, when I calibrate it the insulin pump changes it to a different number then what the BG is providing??? anyone have this issue? Also I did inform the CS rep about this and I told them my concern with receiving incorrect basal amounts if the insulin pump is giving different readings then the BG meter. I said call my doctor? Its Sunday? Any suggestions? :sleepy: :pensive: :worried:

hi @eloveit22 welcome to Type One Nation. I am sorry to hear you are having so many troubles with the sensor.

I think you need to keep working with customer service if you want them to at least reimburse you for the sensors that haven’t been working for you.

All I can think of, for immediate help - is to consider just stopping the CGM if it not possible to get accurate results. The pump can just give you a programmed amount of basal insulin and you can test manually, and adjust your insulin as necessary - if you are uncomfortable with making your own insulin adjustments you probably need to call urgent care or page the doctor on call.

I hope this will work out.

Hi @eloveit22 . I’m so sorry to hear about your issues. I use Tandem myself but if customer service isn’t helping you, you could reach out to your rep - they may be more willing to work with you to resolve your issue. Customer service usually works fine for me but when all else fails…
Of course you may not be able to reach them until tomorrow but you could “go manual” until then if that’s something you’re comfortable doing.
Did you recently switch to Medtronic? Some people’s bodies simply don’t work well with certain products, although that’s not very common.
I hope you find your answers!

… when I calibrate it the insulin pump changes it to a different number then what the BG is providing??? anyone

Shortly after I calibrate my Tandem it gives me a number midway between its reading and the finger stick. Not very confusing if the numbers are way off, but rule of thumb is to go by the finger stick when in doubt. In time the two should sync up fairly closely, although rarely will they be exactly the same.

If it turns out your body is - fit lack of a better term - allergic to Medtronic’s sensors I believe your doctor can authorize your return to Dexcom.

Sorry to hear about your issues…it can be so frustrating. As for locations…I use arms and thighs. Scar tissue and stretch marks can make for bad sites. Medtronic should give you 3 replacements, every 90 days, with no hassle. If you have more than 3 that need replacement, they just need to get approval. If your customer service person didn’t offer that, call again.
As for acccuracy…i have found the 1st 24 hrs can be pretty off. Dexcom can be that way too, but Medtronic, imho, is worse. Calibrating wont make the sensor say the exact number you put it. It usually tries to find middle ground from what it thinks you are and what you just entered. If it says 150, and you’re actually 120, it may go to 130…also remember, the sensor is about 15 min behind, so it may be heading the way of the finger stick. Ive seen some suggest waiting to calibrate for 15 min, and see if the sensor catches up.
Hope some of this helps. Im a 770g user and my son is a tandem user, so feelnfree to ask any other questions…happy to share!